DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have had good luck with making my own. I never used any RTV, but a very thin coat smeared by your finger I doubt would hurt.

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
I haven't seen an masc in years, I was probably running a Blaha at the time. Welcome back to the most/least rewarding game in the world haha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What was leaking on the PS pump? What did you do to fix it and what fluid did you use?
The switch that tells the ECU that you're turning the wheel was leaking fluid. Now that I've had it out of the car it looks like it has a tiny o-ring that seals it, and mine was loose. The parts car had one that was solid so I just swapped them. The hard lines were nice & dry -- good since I didn't want to play "match that crush washer" at the parts store!

One of the rubber hoses leading to the PS reservoir was leaking too -- another easy fix while I was in there.

I haven't bought new PS fluid yet. Was going to use whatever it listed in the manual. I assume it's just generic PS fluid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Here's another old story for ya:

At the 1998 shootout, I broke the shift fork for 3/4 gear in my 1992 GSX. There I was hundreds of miles from home in a car that I could only limp around Norwalk in. On my way back from the track to our hotel, I ended up at a light next to a Mustang and of course they wanted some. My plan was to hammer them in 1st and 2nd and then let off. Well, out of habit I shifted into 3rd with a huge lead. Then it hit me -- I was then stuck in 3rd. No neutral or any other gear.

I rolled in 3rd back to the hotel, where it was a miracle to get from the turn lane into the hotel after having to stop for traffic. What to do?

Back then, the shootout was still small enough that many people met at Buschur's house and hung out in the back yard (where lighting the bonfire meant using race gas). I rode with some Gulf Coast DSM members (if you don't know the story of Hank / RUFRIDR and the decapitated horse, look it up!!) and tried to figure out what to do from there.

At Buschur's house I was put in touch with the one and only John Shepherd. He was still a tech at an Eagle (I think) dealership and he also had brand new in-the-crate transmissions. Even more surprising was he was willing to take an out-of-state personal check for $1700 from someone he had never even heard of except through the Talon Digest.

Now I had a transmission but no way for it to get into the car. That's when another group pitched in and offered to install it for me once they finished swapping clutches between two 3kGTs (one needed to be able to drive home while the other had a trailer). They were doing the work in the parking lot of the Econo Lodge!! I hate that after all these years I can't remember who was involved; I know Jeff Wong (dual 20g'd Spyder VR4) and Scott Evans (original GVR4 owner and Forced Performance turbo guy) were among those turning wrenches.

They got started on my car at around 2am. I couldn't help much but I was under the car doing whatever I could do to assist. It hadn't dawned on me how I was going to get home. The fluids and materials took all the cash I had on hand. Someone asked if I wanted to sell the broken trans, and I spit out "$300" so I could have gas money, without ever considering the true value of the trans. To this day I have no idea who I sold it to; a hand showed up under the car with $300 and I took it!

We finished up as the sun rose and I drove the car around the block for the first time. It was perfect. Checkout time was 11 and I had to drive 13 hours home. I begged the front desk to let me sleep till 1, which they did. Then I made the trip back to GA without incident and with a perfectly-shifting transmission.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I mistakenly posted that picture in this thread when I didn't mean to. Sorry for that...

Since we're firing the way back machine, does anyone remember anything about Showdown Motorsports?

Back in the spring of 2002 there was a guy working for them who owned a red 1ga. It had some yellow stripe or something on the fender if I recall correctly. I think his name was Brent or Bret, but I don't recall. For some reason years later I wanted to look him up, but couldn't remember his last name. Suddenly Brent Rau is the big name and while there would have been a national progression to this persons career, I just can't validate it in my own mind.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts