DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to swap my 1.8 for a 4g63 2.0L. Do they have totally different engine mounts or will everything mount up ok? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey. good luck .. some say that the mounts are different..well they're not everything will mount up just the same :) good luck

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you know nothing about these cars, chances are you are probably going to spend more on the conversion then you spent on your car. The labor is going to KILL you, this is a very long and tedious process. Guys who tried to do it took a couple of weeks to months.

Here is something I found..,

"motor
ehxt manifold
I think the intake is different.
sensors. and possable harness
ALL MOTOR MOUNTS AND TRANY MOUNTS
Trany
Brackets
bolts
shifter and linkages
flywheel
clutch fork
flucrum
Possable salve and master ( not sure )
injectors ( not sure but I don't think they are the same)
T belt and all parts. ( wouldn't do all of this with a old T belt.

I am sure there are more but this is just off the top ofg my head, All in all only worth it if you have a whole car to pull parts from. the little things will kill you and then also remember that some of the parts from the wrecked car might not be good like motor mounts, And also this is just a 2.0 swap not a 2.0 turbo motor swap. All in all I don't see the worth of it and will only be a can of worms that you will be sorry that you opened. In short unless you building a race car this isn't worth it. You can get a AWD or FWD turbo car for less money and it's done right to start."

"to many changes in the modles to make this a effective swap unless you have a whole car to pull parts from. Things like ECU. Injectors, all the little emitions BS and so on is the killer part. I have some one that had a car just like what you want to do. The car is a total mess and really has some funny problems. it's very hard to deal with since the car is mix mached and all differnt then factory. All in all the only way this can be done in a effictive way is to swap to a 2.0 NON TURBO motor ( the turbo swap will not be worth the problems unless you building a race car and we are not talking street race car real race car ) and have a whole wrecked car to pull parts from

I wish you the best of luck but it would be cheaper, faster, less problems and a al oaround faster deal to just buy another car."

·
Registered
51 Posts
i've done the swap if you have any questions let me know ..it wasnt as bad of a job as everyone thinks it is. unless your putting a 90 2.0 into a 93 carlike me..it was a bitch with the electrical in the car. but if u get an engine out of the same year car you'l be fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help. I'll let ya know what happens.
Mitch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts