DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just lowered my car 1.25 inches and had it aligned. They told me my numbers at all four wheels were about negative 1.37 degrees. They said this would cause uneven tire wear and that they suggested raising it to get all four wheels to negative 0.80 degrees or better.

Now here's where I need you guys' input. I thought that toe was the big tire eater, and my toe is within spec. I also see a lot of people claiming they run negative camber anywhere from 1.5-2.0 degrees without uneven tire wear. Heck one guy even said he needed more than -1.5 degrees just to prevent uneven wear because of the way he drove.

I just got brand new tires and would prefer that they last a long time, so do I need to raise (or get a camber kit), or am I ok with -1.37 all around?

Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Why don't you just buy the camber kit, there's actually a pretty good one on rockauto.com for less than 50.00. They told me the same thing when I went for an alignment, I hope they didn't actually try and align the car withouth the kit cause it kind of defeats the purpose, anyway I bought mine, installed it and never whent for an alignment (kind of eye-balled it) and no more uneven tire wear. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Toe is the major tire wear angle but camber causes wear as well. If this is your daily then a camber kit is the way to go if you want to save your tires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts