DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this happened a while back but it's Monday, I don't feel like working yet so...

I'm cruising at our local "strip" a 4 lane divided road with strip malls and fast food joints on the side etc. It's been THE place to cruise and catch a light for the last 50 years and you can find 500-600 cars there on the weekends easily. Everything from old school 50's hotrods to riced out uniwiper Civics (The latter getting a bit to popular these days) There is a 3-4 mile "loop" we usually do. Taco Bell at the South end and Mc'ds on the North side defining the cruise "area". You cruise up and down stopping along the way at various parking lots to shoot the crap and check out the cars parked. Past Taco Bell to the south the road opens to basically empyt 4 lane road with traffic lights every 1/4 mile or so. ( :D )

Most races in the "zone" are from a 10-15mph roll to whatever, sometimes you creep along with the car next to you waiting for the next light to go red. Not really a "street racing" scene but very fun with spur of the moment "at a light" type races.

I usually do 0-60 sprints to keep the police happy and that's about it.

So anyway, I'm heading South and come up on a healthy sounding 87-93 Mustang LX 5.0. The guy gets on it and burns em from a 10mph roll so I reply with a 4000rpm throttle dump and let the BOV do a nice POOOOSSH (yes I have my stock modified to work open ;) ) So we both know it's "on" we just need the traffic to clear ahead as we make our way South doing the typical antagonistic 10-30mph short pulls with each other...based on that I knew I had this guy in the bag.

So we FINALLY get to a light down in the "dark zone" where there are no businesses and just open road. I pull up to the light first, he pulls up to my right. Now this is the guy mind you that KEPT on doing clutch dumps from a roll and egging me on for the last 4 miles. I look over and give the somewhat serious faced "short wave" and "head nod" knowing I'm going to each his lunch as soon as the light goes green.

I see the other light go yellow, bring the revs to 5 grand....bwambwambwambwam...my light goes green, feed the clutch, boost comes up, the car bears down and I'm GONE. I look in my mirror and he is just pulling away from the light with no drama. :confused: :confused:

I'm like, you have to be kidding me. That's it? All that noise, strutting, tire spinning etc and the guy lays down like a chump?

Next light, I roll down my window and say "What the heck happened?" He says with his car idling like a prostock "potatopotatopotato" , and I quote "What do you think I'm stupid? I'm not racing one of those from a stop". ROFLMAO

So we went from 15mph and I killed him by a couple cars anyway. :D

<Disclaimer for the Ford guys: I know if he put a supercharger on, he would kick my ass...maybe. I know if the car was running right with heads cam gears open headers ET streets, sway bar removed headlight out, inside stripped, he would beat me...maybe. I Know there are turbo Fox bodies running 10.30's built with Coke cans and junkyard turbos blah blah blah.>

·
Registered
436 Posts
You tell really detailed kill stories .. It was sort of like "out of a book"

In anycase congratulations on the kill ... From my honest experience Mustang owners dont know much about the DSM's ... Most think of them as being another Honda / Acura product :)

The joys of a 1g ...

You want to take my 2g off me jay

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Good kill! :takethat:

I had a similar experience with a guy who had a '67 Ford Falcon (but he actually raced) with a built 289 with twin Holley 750s,blah,blah,blah. He talked his car up so I could hear him while waiting in the staging lanes on a Friday night and did the whole impressive burnout,etc.etc.
Took him by nearly a full second and he was $100 poorer in under 14 seconds. Thanks AWD.

Along with the RWD guys conceding an edge with the AWD traction,I've had a few 5.0 guys turn down a race against me "cause their naawwws bottles are empty". :D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
yeh ill never forget....i was at the track once and this guy in a newer stang gt. was talkin his car up like it was fast he had some modds and he said he had nitrous. So i was like hummm.....lets do it. we lined em up and i smoked him pretty bad. then later on i saw him in the lanes again and he was like i dont have anything left in my bottle. BLAHH BLAHH BLAHH. maybe he didnt have anything in his bottle but he should have kept that shit talker shut! hahah and good kill bro. and im hyped about the way you came about the story, very descriptive. its way better than "UHHH YO I SMOKED A HONDA, AND UMM HE WAS 5 cars back" hahahahahah

GOOD KILL and by the way about hte supercharger thing...ha ha ive saw some guys put a charger on their stang and its just horrible the way the thing rus due to their sorry ass tunning! KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Why do people do that shit? I have a lowly FWD and I'll try racing anyone. If you lose, so what? Nice psyche out though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
congrats on your kill! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
bwhahaha that's great, he knew his roll and tucked his tail between his legs. good kill

·
Registered
668 Posts
great kill

great kill man. your car is a serious freak I must say!!! You sound like your a damn good racer at that! way to tell a story as well. congrats
-Ryan

·
Registered
322 Posts
"waste a launch" LOL I know what you mean, especially when your still on the stock clutch like me :eek: ! Not to many left in her :(...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know were you are talking about. I went up there once when my car was stock just to watch. There are alot of people that talk shit abot DSMs. I think I will go back to the Berline turnpike next summer and really have some fun.

Good kill by the way.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
I've noticed the V8 guys have been learning about our AWD cars lately as well - which proves the AWD DSM crowd has been doing a really good job out there. It's getting harder and harder to find a naive V8 owner seeing us as easy prey (most likely based on his previous experiences with N/A DSMs). Some AWD DSMers have chosen to remove their badges and conceal all indications of their AWD/turbo platform just to be mistaken for N/A and get challenged more often, but if someone doesn't have the guts to race while knowing his opponent is AWD turbo, he's not most likely worth the gas and chances of getting busted. The best and safest kills are by admission of certain defeat expressed by the opponent without any race ever taking place... :D I think it's quite amuzing how much fear and respect our little 4-bangers have been able to generate in the "there's no replacement for displacement" V8 crowd lately.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You gotta love the AWD. Since we are on the Mustang kill stories, here you go. I'm rolling one of the main raods, last year. I Find myself at a light next to a beautiful fastback old school Mustang, with the shiney 351 badge on the hump in the center of his hood. This car is showroom mint. Driving it is a rustic looking Harley guy. I give him the look, like- nice car (sincerely) but when the light turns I'm going to attemt to take some of your american muscle car pride with me;) . So he gives me the look like, son if you can beat me in that plastic POS I'll sign my title over to you:rolleyes: . (as you may already know nothing was actually said at the 15second interval that we exchanged looks at this light). So when the light finally turns I hear a very breif squeel as the sound of his spinning tires fades away in the distance. He is a few cars back as i'm taking my foot off of the gas in second gear. He gets next to me at about 40 mph, we exchange looks agian, except this time my look says, I told you so:D , but his look says, bitch there must be something wrong with my car:mad: . So he lays back onto his gas, and hes winning:) for a total of 3 seconds:( , then to his humiliation he sees my POS walking past him, again. I guess he has never experienced the violent ass wooping that a 1.7 60 ft AWD will hand out at the line:p .
The whole reason that I am telling this story is for the ending here. So finally I get left to take my turn, as he is driving bye I go to give him the, I bet your not going to tell your Harley buddies about this one wave. And he has his arm out the window, he's giving me the thumbs down :confused:. Which I think means that he is not to give me credit for the pair of ASS RIPPINGS that I gave him :eek: back to back:eek: . This was OK with me though, because I took what I wanted from him already, so there wasn't really anything that he could give me. Just funny that my car still sucked in his eyes, even after I made my Turbo advantage VERY clear to him.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice work, Jay!

Taboo said:
I've noticed the V8 guys have been learning about our AWD cars lately as well - which proves the AWD DSM crowd has been doing a really good job out there. It's getting harder and harder to find a naive V8 owner seeing us as easy prey
I have a hard time getting anything but races from a roll anymore. Oh well, my car does pretty nicely there as well. Just showed a newer Mustang GT my tailights on the highway today after he insisted on egging me on. Afterwards he refused to pull up next to me--and all I wanted to do was give him a friendly wave. ;) (and maybe another ass-kicking :D )

·
Registered
932 Posts
JayHass,

I am in Fairfield CT going to school here. How do I get to Hartford??? I have been looking for some racing. I am exit 22 of I-95. Lemme know

Tom

·
Registered
787 Posts
Taboo said:

Same here. I started to specialize in racing bikes from a stop (since V8s won't go...). :D :D :D
Ditto.. only crotch rockets own me pretty good. :D However the harley boys in town hate me. My buddy has a Nighhawk and he couldnt pull me until he hit third gear. Sucks that my opti didn't get fixed until winter :( Now I have to wait for a rematch. :mad:

·
Registered
569 Posts
pb4ugotobed said:

me too. that's why i like my fwd's gearing :D
105 mph traps has been more than enough for all the FWDers I've run into so far. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts