DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys im really interested now in doing my own paintjob.... well i ahve a 93' tsi, does anyone knw a link that sorta gives u COMPLETE step by step instructoins on how to repaint ur car from scratch? (same colour or colour change)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
no but I'd think painting yourself would be an incredibly difficult process unless you have some experience. And I don't mean painting houses :)
try searching on google.
there is a reason why the labour for painting costs so much on cars; it's because it needs to be done correctly.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,281 Posts
So how many more threads are you going to start about painting your car :confused: :)

Unless you have a decent amount of experience, don't even bother trying, it'll end up looking like shit. It's tougher than it looks, trust me.

·
Registered
374 Posts
id recomend taking a course at a local ROP (regional occupation center) for auto body, they have paint booths (which you need) and they have guns...(which you also need) That is my recomendation, a lot of my freinds are in it and they do some pretty amazing work. just my$.02 worth

·
Registered
305 Posts
Painting a car is easy. I started painting cars at my dads shop last week. I need to be a little more aggresive with the paint because I get some spots of orange peel but my clear coat comes out fine, only runed it once so far but wetsanded it out. I'm also dong it in a spray booth with spray guns and ppg paint if that makes a diffrence. Some tips, stay 8 inches away go somewhat slow so that theres a shine when you paint but not runing it. Try not to over do edges and always keep the gun parrallel. Honestly its very easy after you get passed the fear of screwing up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Painting a car is easy. I started painting cars at my dads shop last week. I need to be a little more aggresive with the paint because I get some spots of orange peel but my clear coat comes out fine, only runed it once so far but wetsanded it out. I'm also dong it in a spray booth with spray guns and ppg paint if that makes a diffrence. Some tips, stay 8 inches away go somewhat slow so that theres a shine when you paint but not runing it. Try not to over do edges and always keep the gun parrallel. Honestly its very easy after you get passed the fear of screwing up.
Being in the autobody buisness I have to agree with some of your points and disagree with some.

1.I need to be a little more aggresive with the paint because I get some spots of orange peel but my clear coat comes out fine

I dont know where you are coming from here.Orange peel can come from several differant places.In most cases it is caused from not having your gun set up right for the type of paint that is being used.Orange peel is probably the hardest obsticle to overcome as well.Next time you are at a new car lot just take a look at the new cars,you will notice that the majority of them will have orange peel from bumper to bumper.A sure fire way to get ride of it is too sand and polish the whole car after it has dried.

Some tips, stay 8 inches away go somewhat slow so that theres a shine when you paint but not runing it.

8 inches is good for some paints but others it will cause major head aches.When you say go somewhat slow I am assuming you mean with the clearcoat?You do not want the basecoat to be shiny when applying it,I know it will be for a short time right when spraying it but if it remains shiny after it has flashed for 15-20 minutes there was way to much paint applied.

Honestly its very easy after you get passed the fear of screwing up

There is alot more that needs to be added here.First,if the car is not prepped right,there is no way possible for the paint to be perfect.The actuall painting process can be easy if all goes smoothly but an experianced painter will know what to do when things do go wrong in the booth.There are just so many varables that contribute to a good paint job.If a person wishes to paint his own car,I wish him the best of luck but IMO it should be left to someone who has the proper tools and facilities to do it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
expensive...

to get the right equipment to prep and paint your car your going to pay an assload.

SATA guns.
sand paper.
2k primer.
clear.
activator.
paint.
tint.
reducer or accelerator.
compressor with line dryer.
lines.
masking tape.
masking paper.
razor blades.
compound.
hand glaze.
wetsand paper.
machine buffer.

The list goes on for you cause your a newb. Plus get ready to pay the 30%-50% markup at your local automotive refinishing supply shop cause you dont have an account!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was acually moving to fast around the car and not letting the paint really get a good coat on, When I thought I screwed up and got a heavy blotch well when the job was done that was the best spot on the car. So Like I said I have to be a little more aggrexive with the paint, and yes there should be somewhat of a "shine" when putting on the paint, not to over done so when it dry's there still a shine but for the 1-2 seconds you hit the car wit the paint you want to see a nice "thick" look. Also we have about 6 paint guns but only use 2 and 2 clear coat guns which we use. The guns are set fine, all the paintjobs come out perfect from our shop. Like I said I started a week ago, I'm still getting use to things. I've done excellent paintjobs and I've done not so good ones, I just got orange peel for the first time thursday on my fourth painting job.

I stay 8 inches away on the base coat and do about 3 coats with a 5-10 min flash time. Is the 8'' exact? hell no I'm just giving a round figure. I of course go in more when "go over" some spots but I like to stay away from what loks like the paint coming outta the gun ends its clean spray and starts misting. Also my clear coat I know how much of a b*tch it is to not run it. I stay again about 8'' away half lines and do 2 coats of it, comes out perfect for me at least. But I have runed it before which does suck.

I agree painting shouldn't be done in a inappropriate painting facitlity. Garange might be ok but clean it out, get all the dust out, get some fans in there also to get out the dust and maybe a heater for after. You want the room to be aroun 82-84 degrees when painting, let it sit around 105 degrees after. If you want it done right and good. Save up for the paintjob. A bumper to bumper here starts at 1500 but thats also no dents, no door jams, no rust. My Dad from what I know when he paints does an excellent job and from what I know has 4 trophies already for 2 customers, again that I know of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
judging from what u guys are saying, this type of work seems to bring in s#!tloads of money. could this be something that i could do like while im in college,or do i need to go to school to learn how to do it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts