DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this really need to be changed every trans fluid change? I'm a little nervous in changing it cause I've never done it before..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now to flush the transmission fluid I take off the return line while running the car and drain and pour until clean. Question - Can I leave it in park while the car's running and I'm flushing and adding new fluid or does it have to be in neutral? And is it best to remove the hose from the top or bottom of the external tranny cooler to drain the fluid?

Then I add the fluid with bottle of lubeguard. Question - Do I need to add some lubeguard, add some fluid, add some lubeguard or just add it all at once does it matter?

When draining and flushing the fluid from the line off the tranny cooler how much fluid is generally added to re-fill? 7 quarts?

Then the filter. I haven't read many tips or write ups about changing it so any help you can provide would be appreciated. Do you need to use RTV sealant for the gasket?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do Not run the car to flush the fluid out. If there is no fluid in the tranny with it running you will destroy it. Drain the fluid out of the tranny. There are two drain plugs on the bottom of the tranny, one in the pan and one in the tranny case. Take both hoses off the top of the tranny and blow them out with air. This will get the old fluid out of the cooler and lines. It will take about 7 to 8 quarts. You can use RTV on the pan gasket, do not over torque the pan bolts. If you tighten them too tight, you will ruin the gasket and it will leak pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
mattgst said:
Then the filter. I haven't read many tips or write ups about changing it so any help you can provide would be appreciated. Do you need to use RTV sealant for the gasket?

Definately do this job yourself. I've had places botch it yet I have no problem doing this while lying on my back in the driveway :confused: I never used any sealants and never had a leak afterwards but I always take my time and use a torque wrench for the filter and gasket. Clean mating surfaces real good tho. Match new gasket to pan BEFORE dropping it in case you were unlucky and got the wrong filter + gasket set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts