DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone
my friend has a 97 gsx and wants to spend 3 to 4 grand to make it quicker what should he buy? he wants to run 11's when he is done with it any input would be great
like what turbo? what fmic stuff like that
thanks all

p.s. also i have a 90 fwd and i was kicking arund the idea of a stroker would it be a waste of time for me? because of my wwd??

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think 3-4 grand would never get him into 11's. He would have to change the head to 1g ported or at least have it ported like a mad man. This alone would leave a good dent in his wallet. He would need a 20g or Frank series turbo (+1100), external w/g (tial, HKS), fuel controller (AFC?), downpipe, exhaust, 550cc or 660cc injectors, Greddy or Apexi fmic, upper intercooler pipe, ACT 2600 clutch, air filter, boost controller, race gas, etc. This would get him into 12's, but I think 11's would need little more work (like the head swap w/ cams).

Maybe someone can prove me wrong? =)

Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello i dont think he wants to hit 11's with just 3 or 4grand hes got 8grand to spend but he wants seats 800$ and both the front and center diff and the 2600 act so thats half of the 8grand so far
he wants to get the turbo that can take him there tho none of this buying one turb then having to replace it with a bigger one down the road
thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
He should go with Frankenstein series turbo. It has better shaft & bearing than 20g's. This turbo itself is good for 11's and better. He can also go w/ Garrett turbo's but cost more (new manifold). Apexi and Greddy fmic are also good for 11's and better. Lot of the parts that the DSM community buys are good for going fast...12's and 11's. Your car going that fast is a different story.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
>Apexi and Greddy fmic are also good for 11's and better.

LOL. Buy a real FMIC. I thought I had seen bad piping and then I saw my friends 98 GSX with a GReddy FMIC. What a waste of cash. From what I hear the Apex'i isn't a whole lot better.

My suggestions:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Manual wastegate & boost gauge - $125 ~ $200
<LI> Full 3" exhaust w/ O2 eliminator & external wastegate - $1250 ~ $1500
<LI> 550 injectors & SAFC - $500 ~ $600

Do the next 2 @ the same time -
<LI> T3/T4 or 20G (good low end turbos) - $900 ~ $1250
<LI> FMIC - $1000 ~ $1500

Be prepared to need -
<LI> Aftermarket clutch - $300 ~ $500
</UL>

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The GReddy, HKS, and Apex'i FMICs are relatively small in the core dimensions. To add to that handicap, the GReddy and Apex'i piping configurations are a HUGE compromise to fit the car. I'm all for making a job easy, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to adding up to 3 90 degree extra bends plus another at the FMIC, that adds up to significant losses. If you want power, if you want to be into the 11s, look to a real DSM vendor for a FMIC or build it yourself. A Spearco 221 core and end tanks will give you a very nice, very large FMIC. A Griffen core looks less nice but is larger in size and lower pressure drop. Piping, at least for me, is the hard part. No one makes a piping system for the 20G, at least one that is worth to spend the cash on, go figure. I've resorted to making the piping myself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Apexi's cores are one of the most efficient cores (I believe Blitz was rated above Apexi). If you aint satisfied with the "kit", you can go w/ Apexi Skyline cores. Of course building any FMIC is lot of work.

The new Greddy FMIC measures at 23" by 11". That is pretty big...My view is that making your own FMIC vs buying a "kit" will not put one into 11's and another into 12's. It is more on the driver, tuning ability, and what other parts you have.

Of course, someone could prove me wrong.....run 12's with Apexi kit, slap on your own FMIC and run 11's and vice versa.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by ChosunDSM (edited September 03, 2000).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts