DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 awd talon, that needs a rebuild on the engine. I was looking at bushurr's site and to get my shortblock and my cylinder head rebuilt with performance parts its going to be over $5,000. I dont want to spend that much money on a rebuild, so I was wondering how hard it is to take apart my head and block and rebuild them. Or if you guys know of any other places besides bushurr that has high quality work but for a more affordable price?
Thanks

James

·
Registered
701 Posts
The Stage 3 Racing Shortblock includes Crower rods, JE Forged pistons in your choice of compression ratio, ARP fasteners, a completely balanced rotating assembly, your choice of overbore with the balance shaft eliminator kit installed.

OK, its like this:

Crower Rods: $700
JE Forged Pistons: $500
ARP Fasteners: Head Studs: $110
Main Studs: $45
Rod Bolts: $45
Balanced Rotating Assembly: $100
Overbore: $100
Balance Shaft Eliminator: JB Weld $5
8 x 1.25mm bolt: $2
8 x 1.25mm tap: $10
40mm Freeze Plug: $1

So, that come to about $1618 + Tax. No where close to $3000. I just took apart my whole engine for the first time with minimal help, and its not hard to do.

This is the cylinder head configuration used in all of our race engines. The head is ported and polished much more aggressively as we are looking for bigger gains up top with the larger turbo combinations (Usually 20g on up). The deck of the cylinder head is also "O-ringed" around the combustion chambers to increase the sealing capability of the head gasket under high boost. Using this head without cams is not recommended

Paort and Polish: maybe $500 for extreme cases. I have no idea how much "o-ringing" the gead would cost, but it cant be more than $100. Reducing the weight or balancing the valvetrain would probabaly be up there in price, but that still wouldn't bring you to $1600.

Disassembling the head can be tricky, but you can do it like I did, and hust remove the cams, rockers and lifters and leave the valves and springs for the machine shop, Im doing a complete rebuild and its only costing $750 in machine work (that include porting, overbore, and a 3 angle valve job). My parts are stock rods, 95+ pistons, arp fasteners. Thats only about $450 for internal parts.

Now, I have nothing against Buschur Racing, Im sure they do fine work, thats why they have a few 9 sec cars, but Im just saying they are kind of expensive. If you do it yourself, you will save a lot of money and get a lot of experience.

-Dave
-91 GST AT

[This message has been edited by turbolover2 (edited October 01, 2000).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do know where you can order a fully built jap spec engine and tranny for around $2300. But if I remember right you tranny is almost brand new. I'm not sure about that though I've only driven your car once.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You were kinda cheap on the machining and labor in your cost estimate there. You also forgot a complete gasket kit, pinning the rods to the pistons, redecking the flywheel (cause I KNOW that noone would reinstall an undecked flywheel, *hint* *hint*), unless you make the balance eliminator yourself up that price, and finally a new bearing set.

$200 + $50 + $40 + $50 + $150 = $490 + additional labor and cost from your estimate and o-ringing ($200)

$1618 + $690 = apprx. $2300

Now add in labor to assemble the engine and overhead cost for inventory, facilities, etc. and you're in the neighborhood of $2750. Suddenly, it seems Dave isn't really making all that much profit off you doesn't it.

I agree the DIY approach fits my personallity as well, but remember, some people have never held a wrench let alone used it. Now I generally would try to help that kind of person, and often do, but it takes a great deal of patience and time (both of which I usually don't have a lot of). Also, remember, some people would just prefer to not expend the amount of labor required to do this job and rely on people who are more skilled or have more time.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Now when you say 2750 including gaskets, seals, bla, bla, your right. But Buschurs 3000 engine is only the bottom end. Minus crank. So thats 3000 for pistons, rod, block, rings, balance shaft eliminator (which I got from dsm.org). So, if you bought that stuff yourself, thats 500 (pistons)+700(rods)+150(rings)+50(b.s. eliminator kit= 1400. So 1500 for labor to put together a bottom end, thats kinda pricey.
Also, a complete gasket set includes the seals.

BTW, I dont have a flywheel, Im AT :)

-Dave
-91 GST AT

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey intense, what does the japspec engine come with (parts wise)? Where can I get it from? Is that 2300 for both the engine and the trans?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts