DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 1990 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD

Intent: slightly mod mostly stock car, no track racing/insanity. (drive to work, etc...)

Main Problem: Transmission grinds in 2nd. Broken fork / bad synchro suspected.

First Resolution: replace transmission.

Message Goal: What should I put on my list of things to get and things to do?

--------------------

Hello,
As outlined above, I'm planning a tranny swap. I'm not a mechanic and haven't done much car work at all. I've got a friend with a garage, some tools, and more mechanical skills than me. Besides lots of beer and a desire to learn about my car, currently this is the list of items I'm gathering for the swap:

-replacement transmission ( i think i finally found one.. jesus.. by the way, never buy anything from John Peters in TX. I lost almost $400 after he disconnected his phone and I never heard from him or got anything and cant find him. FUQ. my posts to goodguybadguy.org are not showing up for some reason.)
-BG Syncroshift (3 bottles)
-new clutch (might as well, right?)
-throwout bearing
-clutch spring kit (need some direction here, i think.)

This is untolerably and moronically short, at least it seems it to me. Should I get a seal/gasket/spring/clutch/tranny kit or anything? I want to know what I *should* consider doing at the same time while I'm bothering to take the car this much apart.

Someone said I should consider bearing work while I have them apart, and someone else said I should replace the timing belt while all the other stuff is out of the way. I think I'd need to make lists for that stuff too. Maybe I should get a shop manual or parts manual? Currently I've got Chiltons and Haynes, but they are very basic, at best, IMHO.

Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for suggestions here, and a lot of direction. I'd rather do this correctly and smart than screw it up multiple times. If that means taking the prep time to do it, so be it.

Thanks!

-jre

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well here it goes. Depends on your bankroll and willingness to shop around but here is what I did.

1. Bought 90 Tsi AWD from junkyard for $895 with known bad tranny.

2. Had to replace alternator to get it home $105

3. Bought Trans rebuild kit complete with bearings and synchros $252

4. Found used tranny to salvage parts from $200

5. While tranny is out and all labor is a wash. New clutch kit(Stock type) $105, New halfshafts $96 for both sides, New front bearings $54 both plus seals extra, New monroe struts $110 for both.

From your description you have a bad synchro but either way the tranny must come apart.

Oh and if your friend is a good mechanic you will need lots of beer because alot of things I mentioned require special tools and equipment. Forget the bearings without a minimum 12 ton press. Air is nice too. Harbor Freight Tools is your friend

My total investment so far is less than $2500 and I have a smoking little turbo AWD that rides like new

1 - 2 of 2 Posts