DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick back story: I purchased this RNR exhaust about a year ago, and it was supposed to fit my 94 1g AWD 5-speed. Although it was a great deal, and a great looking exhaust - it didn't fit. The shop I took it to said it definately looked like it was for a FWD. So I sold it on eBay, and now the buyer said he took it to a shop and they said it wouldn't fit his 90 FWD Laser RS Turbo.

So ... which model/year do you guys think this exhaust is for?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Doesn't the 2G exhaust come out the driver's side? Or is it different on t's vs. x's?

That looks to come out the pass side.....

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
injekt said:
It's not for a 2g, the exhaust comes out the drivers side.
I thought so.....unless there is a difference between GS-T's and GSX's...but I didn't think there was....

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yeah, but just because of the way the exhaust is oriented in the picture doesn't mean that's exactly how it's going to be installed. If you flip the muffler over 180* then it's going to come out the driver side.
I say it looks like a 2g AWD because when I took mine out of the box it looked basically the same as that, down pipe, straight mid pipe and the muffler.
Not to mention that if it's a cheap exhaust the hanger might be on the wrong side, I've seen a few buddies order exhaust and it fits perfectly, but the hangers are in the wrong place.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yeah either the hangers are on the wrong side or the exhaust shop's are idiots..

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yeah, if it doesn't fit on a 1g AWD or FWD, either one of the shops are wrong, it's for a 2g, or it's just wrong all together.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
aworldsdeath said:
Not to mention that if it's a cheap exhaust the hanger might be on the wrong side, I've seen a few buddies order exhaust and it fits perfectly, but the hangers are in the wrong place.
I guess this could be the case, but its from RNR (now defunct) and went for like $900 originally. But you could be on to something, the buyer hasn't responded to my last email yet in which I asked him where exactly didn't fit.

aworldsdeath said:
... either one of the shops are wrong, it's for a 2g, or it's just wrong all together.
I watched the guys at my shop try to mount it up, and it was clear it wasn't going to work on my 1g AWD.

As far as "wrong all together," that's what I'm scared of. I mean its a great stainless steel system, with perfect welds. I was really excited to use it myself, originally. Then, when I had it in my basement for a while I just wanted to get rid of it. Now I fear I'll have it forever. :(

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
turbolover said:
I believe there is a difference in the bends, it doesn't look like 2g exhaust to me though..
Yeah, someone was telling me that the downpipe didn't look appropriate for either 1g or 2g, because it doesn't bend at all to avoid the t-case.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Looks like a 1g awd to me, I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to make it fit, there's always ways to make things like that work.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, but it would have needed extensive modification to work for my 1g AWD.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I relisted it on eBay.

I just don't want to lose a ton of money on shipping costs - its like $60.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
That looks exactly like the OP's exhaust. I'm curious as to why are you listing it on ebay as a 1g awd exhaust, when you mentioned that there was no way to make it fit without extensive modification.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Absinthminded said:
I hope that helps you out.
Wow, thanks a lot for the pics. It does look the same. I don't get it, why didn't mine seem to fit?

I'm starting to think it was just the downpipe that was missing that certain bend to clear the T-case. But regardless, it MUST be for 1g AWD.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
frankozz said:
why are you listing it on ebay as a 1g awd exhaust, when you mentioned that there was no way to make it fit without extensive modification.
Well, I'm not trying to be dubious through any of this. I've given refund to the original eBay winner. He will send it to the next winner. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll just refund again and get it shipped home to me.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Not trying to sound like a dick, but why go through all that? And not even a little note on the add that says it may require modification to work on your car... This is the reason why most people hate on ebay....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts