DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I did a search on motor mounts but really didn't find anything. Nothing is wrong with my car now. However, as I begin to mod it, what should I look for as far as motor mounts go? Would it be wise to go ahead and spend 125 dollars on the poly motor mounts (set)? Thanks.

Kevin V.
'90 Talon TSi FWD

P.S. Easiest way to change my tranny fluid?

·
Registered
495 Posts
vibration...lots o' chasis vibration. you'll need a hydraulic press to do the install. they definately keep your engine from moving during hard launches.

·
Honorary Administrator
3,438 Posts
Most vendors sell the "red" Prothanes for $80-$90. There is also a "black" kit available at www.suspension.com for $72. The black mounts are not quite as dense as the reds, but still effective. I just installed the black mounts; had a machine shop press out the old mounts for $20. I'm not sure why you would want to do the mounts as a first mod, though. They are easier to do if you're doing major work like a head swap at the same time.

To change the tranny fluid, remove the fill bolt on the side of the transmission (17mm), then remove the drain bolt (22mm, I think) and let the fluid drain into a pan. Push the splash shield over so that the fluid doesn't get all over it. Replace the drain bolt. To add new fluid, it's helpful to have a funnel with a long tube attached to run into the fill hole from the top of the car. You can find these at most auto parts stores.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
I had no idea about the black mounts being a softer compound. I have a set of black ones on the shelf here that I never got around to installing (one of these days...). Bought black ones because I'm a neat freak and I'd take way too much time keeping red motor mounts clean...

As for the install... sometimes pressing doesn't work.. the other option is to break out the rubber from the stock mount (BFH), then use a sawzall to cut through the metal inner sleeve and remove it. It's a PITA, I did a friend's car that way. Another friend took his off to have them pressed, and the shop's 10 ton press wouldn't move them. So he ended up doing the sawzall thing as well...

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have a set of the reds; they do produce alot of vibrations. I would go with the black prothanes. I put mine in because my top mout broke and it was cheaper to buy a set of prothanes than just one OEM mount. Even with just one mount in, there was a major change in vibration. Of course, it only bothers me when the car is idling. If I ever have to pull the engine again, I will probably switch. Another way to get the old motor mounts out is to use an air hammer. That seems to be the quickest way I have seen it done.

Chris

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anyone have inserts? Not the full mount replacement, but the ones that slide into the openings of the stock rubber mount? Do they exist?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Have not heard about the inserts, but some folks use windo weld (kind of like a caulk) with good reported success. THere is at least one thread on this.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'd recommend you only get the inserts for the mount by the firewall and radiator. The big front and back ones just make everything shake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts