DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into replacing the stock bushings with the poly set but was curious of what bushings need to be pressed in and also was it a noticable difference?

·
Registered
920 Posts
They dont need to be pressed in, but it would make things a whole lot easier.

I did mine by drilling out the rubber on the old bushing, then beating on it till the center finally tore out. Then using a sawzaw cut through the ring in two places about 5mm apart. Using a crappy screw driver, I broke out that little 5mm section. Then Finally I punched out the ring.

To get the new bushing in I got a rod that was at least 8 inches long with several washers on each side. I lubed up the bushing very well with the supplied goop and using the rod and washing pulled them together. Once it was pretty much all the way in I used a 1lb hammer to get it the rest of the way in.

The first bushings took maybe 1hr each, then I got it down to about 15min each.

The car feels much sharper now and holds its line in Auto-x much better. But with that the road noise is even louder now.

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
It's not the bushings that are hard, good luck if the bolts are rusted inside them.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Depending on what poly bushings your talking about, your ride will be stiffer (less "flex," or whatever you want to call it, in suspension), and if you pay attention to your car, the ride will be a bit more "rough" with bumps.

Prothane also makes motor mount bushings, and if your talking about those, you'll feel the vibration of the motor a little more, about as much as you'd feel with the balance shafts removed.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I have them and love them. However they are a nightmare to install. The back ones at least. The fronts are easy.
The rears suck. One side too me soo long, using a vice, sockets and other stuff that I just gave my the other side to my brother and had him press them in at his work.

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
93_GSX said:
Depending on what poly bushings your talking about, your ride will be stiffer (less "flex," or whatever you want to call it, in suspension), and if you pay attention to your car, the ride will be a bit more "rough" with bumps.

Prothane also makes motor mount bushings, and if your talking about those, you'll feel the vibration of the motor a little more, about as much as you'd feel with the balance shafts removed.

Depending on the condition of the bushings. My "stockers" were so rusted in the inner collars that they didn't allow the suspension to travel like it should. It created a smoother feel because the dual wishbone was allowed to work properly.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
K_Mans_TSI said:
Depending on the condition of the bushings. My "stockers" were so rusted in the inner collars that they didn't allow the suspension to travel like it should. It created a smoother feel because the dual wishbone was allowed to work properly.
Very good point!! I didn't even think of that....makes sense as these cars are getting to the 10-15+ year old mark...:rolleyes:

Man, your car must've felt like complete garbage before you replaced it!!!

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
I wouldn't say garbage, but I had a hell of a time keeping the front pass wheel on the ground in a launch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts