DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about porting my stock exhaust manifold and o2 housing before i upgrade turbo after i upgrade to a downpipe. Should I expect any gain from this? Will it hurt anything since im still running a small turbo? Porting the exhaust manifold is suppose to let the exhaust gasses exit faster, faster spool up? The o2 housing is suppose to let the exhaust flow out faster? Am I on the right track? Thanks everyone!

:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
It won't hurt anything unless you do a crappy porting job. As far as helping, with the T-25 it won't make too much difference - if you have a good free-flowing exhaust (and just an O2 housing won't make a difference with the stock cat, pipe, and muffler still on there) it will help more.

I have a full 3" exhaust (turbo back - including a HUGE O2 housing) and a ported manifold on my car - still with a T-25 - and it didn't make a lot of difference. If I load it up early - like punching it w/out downshifting in 3rd from idle - I can get full boost (16PSi) by 2K, but it doesn't make much difference, downshifting to 2nd is still faster. Also, I noticed that my pressure doesn't start falling off so early. I can hold 16PSi to almost 7K now, where it used to fall off to 14PSi around 6K and 12PSi by 7K.

The O2 I have, BTW, I got from Alamo Motorsports - got crappy service, waited for months (basically it shipped when I offered to come down and collect it), and it came with a downpipe that had to be banged beaten and bent to fit. but for all that, the O2 housing itself was a masterful piece of work. The ID of the collector merge (where the WG and turbine exhaust flows come together) is beautiful - the merge is very smooth and almost linear, and the ID is right at 3". The only complaint I had with the housing itself was that it was shipped with casting flash all over it - first time I took it out of the box it cut my hand. Little time with a wire wheel fixed that though. I wrote a complete review on the Talon Digest after I got it and got it installed. After which Alamo promptly contacted me demanding I change the review to make them look better because they were getting a new manager. Typical.

If anyone was still selling these things, I'd say get it. If anyone has the castings for these, MAKE MORE!!! After looking at a friend's EVO housing, I'm fairly sure this thing is going to provide better evacuation when the big turbo goes on.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I ported my exhaust mani when we tapped my EGT. Honestly I can't feel any difference but then again the T25 can only flow so much.

And since these are gases that are exiting the car you're not gonna be doing any harm.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts