DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having never personally ported anything myself, I'm wondering who's done it themselves? Was it hard to do? It this something I can mess up easily? Should I just let the "pro's" do it, and buy ported pieces? Thinking about porting 1g o2 housing and 2g exhaust manifold myself. I've seen the visuals at dsm.org.
Any input appreciated,

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD - modified
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

·
Registered
97 Posts
You cna use a Electric Die Grinder to do the work. They spin at 22,000 rpm. that and a good carbide bite you should be able to do it yourself. I must tell you that it is a big pain in the ass. be prepared to get alot of metal flakes every where. In your hair, on your arms, etc ,etc. It can get painful at times. You MUST wear a face shield or eye protection. These flakes can get into your eyes and cause alot of problems. Trust me I know from personal experience.

Richard Montalvo www.thedsmshop.com
954-977-6789

·
Registered
13 Posts
I work at a sheet metal fab shop. I am a welder. We also have a machine shop. Even with access to all the right tools, I found it a pain in the ass. I actually had to take it off a second time to port the wastegate a little more( We really heavily ported every other hole except that one :) ) I would pay the 100 bucks and have TRE do it. They dont use dremels, and it is done right. Its worth the money. E-mail me if you want the place that does it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I ported my exhaust manifold myself. Word to the wise, use a carbide bit. I used a ginding stones (pink one), I good cool sparks but it took me 10 HOURS!!!! Needless to say my back hurt, but the port job is smooth. :)

Zach
'92 Laser RS Turbo
"RSX"

·
Registered
76 Posts
how much benifit would i get from having TRE port my 14b? or in general how much does porting a 14b help? i realy like that 275$ deal TRE has on porting your exhast manifold, o2 and turbo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts