DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my head back from the machine shop today and the porting I had done was minor. The intake and exhaust ports were not enlarged. Would it be okay to enlarge them to the size of the gaskets?? It wouldn't mess up the air flow, would it? And how hard is it to do this?

-Dave

·
Registered
729 Posts
porting your head wont do too much good unless you match it to the manifold. I definatly wouldn't advise going as big as the gasket unless you have some sort of custom header - reason is because the stock exhaust manifold can only flow a limited amount into the turbo. (you are talking about a turbo car, right?) opening up the head will only slow exhaust velocity in between the head and turbo, which would not be of any benefit. If you can portmatch the manifold to it, that would probably help flow if you do it right.

personally i think portin a head is a job for a very experienced porter. If you make a mistake, theres no going back.

·
Registered
152 Posts
From my understanding, it helps out to just deburr and smooth out any casting flaws and then thin the divider walls on the exhaust ports. The major flow obstruction is the exhaust side, as the intake ports are huge. This is exactly what TRE does to their cylinder heads. Also it is recommended that you polish just the exhaust side of the heads to avoid carbon build up. Also do not attemp to port the heads unless you have a heavy duty Die grinder and bits. I have never ported anything myself but this is what I gathered on the digest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts