DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just replaced the door on my 92 Talon due to an accident, everything works fine but the seatbelt mechanism. Does anyone know how it's triggered (where is the switch) or what could be causing this.

Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hmmm... Is either of the seatbelts working? I blew a fusible link under the hood and didn't think there would be two fuses for the belts (there is one under the dash too). The belts should be triggered between the door button and the ECU perhaps. Please post more info about how/what is not working (does your dome light come on and go off correctly?). -Ian

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
There is a switch inside the door near the hinges... Thats why the domelight switch can go out but the power belts still work... Always wondered about that on my Laser. Do the belts work at all? like if you sit in the car and turn the key on do they work? You might want to check the fuses.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my power seatbelts. I locked my keys in my car and I called the a tow truck to unlock the door and the driver unlocked my car but also at the same time broke the seat belt mechanism on the drivers side. To get to the wiring harness, you have to unscrew the door panel, take it off and then check the plug to the seatbelt harness. This is where it gets messy. If you go Mitsubishi or Chrysler they don't sell individual seatbelts parts. They only sell the complete set for 600 dollars. You probably have wires or plugs that are broken. My advice is to go on ebay or to a junk yard and try to find parts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The seatbelt on the passenger side only is not working and that's the door I replaced. The interior light switch isn't working but I know that doesn't trigger the seatbelt.

I'll check the switch near the hinges, since this is a new/used door I don't know if it was working before.

Thanks for all the replies, and I'll update you when I find the problem.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found the problem.

The seatbelt is activated by the locking mechanism of the door, where it latches to the car.

Since the car was in an accident the latch on the car was pushed in slightly so it wasn't activating the latch on the door.

Some people may have the problem due to a broken wire in the door, just a guess.

Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts