DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm thinking about purchasing a 1g, and the seller said that it leaked power steering fluid. When I asked how much on average it leaks he replied:

"Well it actually doesnt seem to leak in the winter. But when its warm it leaks alot. I would fill it up and a couple of days later it would be empty. I'm pretty sure its leaking on the power steering rack boot."

Anybody have any ideas? and if so what am I looking at for fixing this, money and time wise?
oh, and if this is in the wrong section or so, i apologize

·
Registered
264 Posts
How much is he asking for the car?
What condition is it in? Milage?
Any other problems besides that one?

If he is getting rid of it for cheap it might be worth it to get it then just fix it.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,617 Posts
Its either a hose leak or a boot leak on the rack itself. It'll leak when its cold, cause the rubber will have shrunken and allow the fluid to seap out.

Sometimes this will happen just because the fluid was changed, just like in auto trannies. This would be because new fluid is thinner in viscosity, and seaps between seals. If you have some old fluid to put in there, it may not leak. Or you could try adding a little at a time, with the car running, to get it aged a little bit (the heat will help thicken it).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car doesnt have any other problems with it. The mileage isn't the best but i plan on rebuilding the engine anyway. It's going for $3500, but thats with a lot of mods and already running 12's. I had planned on getting it for $4000 but he recently dropped the price, his friends say he needs money quick. So that would give me an extra $500 towards a rebuild or fixing this leak.

·
Registered
511 Posts
some options to consider.

A replacement rack isn't too much money. I recall the rack going for about $150 rebuilt from most auto part stores. The labor to remove the rack is cake if you already have the engine out to be rebuilt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts