DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well when I first started the motor one of the lines on the pump wasn't on very well, so a hefty amount of fluid flew everywhere. Not thinking about it after tightening it, I start it a few hours later. It runs fine but makes a shaky metallic noise, I thought it may have been the pulleys at first so I went about and tightened them. Still same thing, when I turn the wheel the noise gets really loud and scratchy, not to mention I refilled the power steering pump. I'm guessing it may either take a while for it to circulate the power steering fluid, or since it was running with not much in there, the power steering pump may be shot? If that's the case, replacing that isn't high priority, so is there a fuse that I can remove so the power steering will not be active? I just want to drive this car peacefully... lol

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Add fluid and turn steering wheel back and forth.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, you can eliminate the power steering completely by removing the belt. I don't know if that belt is connected to any other pully, tho, like the alternator. For some reason I'm having a brain cramp and I don't have my car in front of me. Either way, there are kits to eliminate power steering, I dont' know if they come with shorter belts, though. If the belt is used to spin another pully, you'll have to come up with a shorter belt to just spin that pully and not the power steering.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The power steering is connected from two pulley's I believe. I have added fluid and turned from left to right, just constantly makes noises and after shutting it off, fluid seeps out from the cap area. Considering I do have a brand new belt I'm thinking I may just cut it and eliminate the belt itself. Otherwise I think that maybe the cap is bad with a bad seal, which isn't keeping the reservoir sealed therefore not being able to pressurize properly? Idk..

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Well, if your looking to get rid of it completely, you'll have to find a belt that will turn whatever pully that normally shares belt with power steering pully.

You should be able to find a good cap from a junk yard for pretty cheap. If thats what your thinking, I would try that before just cutting the belt.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
The power Steering is powered by the water pump pulley. The water pump and alternator are powered by the crank. You can eliminate the power steering belt with no adverse effects to powering the water pump and alternator.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
93_GSX said:
Alright, well, it looks like you can cut the belt as long as your fine with not having A/C.

Some people suggest getting rid of both, but for a DD that may not be practical, would it?
AC is operated off the crank pulley by its own seperate belt, removing power steering wont effect it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Red1991TSI said:
That is correct!
Thank you both, gentelmen. Thats aimed at you as well, EE.

If he had a leak in the system, and air was really being pulled in, then there would definately be a visable leak somewhere, and it would be obvious. He has, however already stated that fluid leaked everywhere. If he had lines off, I"m guessing they are either new, or they were recently replaced. The likelyhood that there is a current, un-known leak is fairly slim, at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is an old thread, but something along the same line is happening.
I ELIMINATED the power steering belt, because the noise was ridiculous, and adding more fluid will not resolve the problem. I start the car, and after it sits for a few minutes it seems that the same noise happens? Belt isn't hooked up though? Any ideas?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.