DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to remove the power steering from a 1G Eclipse? and if it is are there any places/ or people that can help me remove it in Kentucky(Louisville)? Plus jus wantin to see who all from KY is on here...:D

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
what were you hoping to accomplish by doing so?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Helping to reduce weight(also wanna remove the a/)c too, less hassle of having to replace that belt since the pulley is damaged anyways..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Helping to reduce weight(also wanna remove the a/c too), less hassle of having to replace that belt since the pulley is damaged anyways and its gonna need to be replaced and that might end up being pretty expensive too...

·
Registered
489 Posts
yes it can be done.

just find a 2.0 or 1.8 that dosnt have power streering and use their steering system.

I know there are a few guys on here that have done it before.

Are there any people on here that work at Buscher Racing? I know kevein did it to his 603whp Talan.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks GST..atleast I know it can be done now.. another question when if I took out the p.s. would I have to goto rack and pinion?(semi new to the dsm's) .. also y in the world did it post me twice when I edited it

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Removing power steering and ac helps free up some lost horsepower since those luxuries are a parasitic drag on the engine. Let me know how hard it was to replace your pulleys with the new ones. Also if it was worth it

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hell yea..thanks alot.. peace

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
A search would turn up some more information.

You don't need to replace the rack. I removed the pump and all the lines, then looped the in & out on the rack together. Leave a little fluid in it!

It's kinda' rough at <5mph, but after that it's fine. A manual rack will make it a little easier to turn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts