DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes i know another bumper painting thread.

Im painting my whole car (no advice or anything of that sort ive got it down). Now ive read to use a "flexible" primer on the bumper/hood (fiberglass hood) so it doesnt crack or flake when the part moves. Now my dads friend said he heard of an actual additive you put in your primer you use out of a spray gun, all i can find is this rattle can stuff.

Now the question:
What are you real body shop guru's using on bumpers to keep them from cracking?

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Quality products...
With proper film build and adhesion, most quality paints are pretty damn flexible. A flex additive will make it alot more flexible and I've found it to help prevent stone chips, but IMO it's not %100 necessary.

Edit: And an adhesion promoter if you're painting bare plastic.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bumper Flex Additive

eviltsi said:
Quality products...
With proper film build and adhesion, most quality paints are pretty damn flexible. A flex additive will make it alot more flexible and I've found it to help prevent stone chips, but IMO it's not %100 necessary.

Edit: And an adhesion promoter if you're painting bare plastic.
Did you use the rattle can stuff, or the actual paint/primer additive? If you used the additive did you put it in the primer and paint?

·
Premium Member
9,818 Posts
If you want to do it the right way you'll use an adhesion promoter and a flex agent in the paint. The Adhesion promoter you can find at Walmart in a rattle can. The flex agent you'll need to mix in your paint and spray yourself. I don't have personal knowledge of any rattle can paint which is that way straight from the can.

One option is some companies will mix your paint, put it in a can for you with the color and formula you request. It's a bit more expensive but the whole job is rattle can and the right stuff.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
It's an additive that can go in the primers and clearcoats, but is not recommended in the basecoat. This is the recommendations for the system that I use, your best bet would be to contact the company making the paint that your going to use and see what they recommend. Not all products are compatible, you should stick with what the manufacture recommends.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mitsubishi_gsx said:
I have always gone with Bulldog.It it an adhesion promoter,tie coat,and flex agent. The aerosol is just an adhesion promoter,but the quart/ gallon gets mixed with primer,paint,and clear.This stuff works great.

http://www.spaceagepaint.com/product_detail.aspx?id_product=8660
Wow thats what im talking about!! Most of the other additives ive seen that are just the flex agent are twice that. Thanks for the replies guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.