DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I will be painting the interior on my new 97 Talon. The idiot before me spray painted the entire thing blue. I mean ENTIRE thing. I have been searching the old painting threads and kind of have an idea of what to do.

My only question is, how should I go about taking off the old blue paint? I just want the paint to look halfway decent, as I will be selling the car shortly, after it gets the interior painted, and the exterior sanded, primered, and painted. So should I just say screw it, and spray over the old paint? Will it at least look decent for a while?

·
Registered
361 Posts
If the old paint isn't peeling you should be able to rough it up and spray over, which would take less time then sanding it down to the plastic.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't know if paint thinner would be a good option, but once its off why would you want to repaint it, unless your trying to cover up some paint that wont come off.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think you guys realize the extent of the paint. I mean EVERYTHING. The vents, the dash, the door, the moldings on the door. Everything.

Imagine looking at your door panel, and then just taking a can of spray paint and spraying the entire thing without taking anything off. There you go.

I will try to just lightly sand the old paint off. If it works all the better. I am not a fan of painted interiors.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maximum9898 said:
I wanna see how this turns out I am kinda thinking of doing this to what kind of paint are you using.
Being as I will just be selling it, I am just going to get some vinyl paint. If I was doing it correctly, I would try vinyl dye, or most likely just buy a new one the color I want.

·
Registered
547 Posts
MyBoostedGST said:
Wait until I get the pictures up. :rolleyes:
....Still waiting....

This oughta be good.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'd like to see the before and after pics....

When do you plan on selling the car? You need to pm me the info on the car, as I'm kinda "in your backyard" and am interested in another DSM......;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Man Idk about you but that blue just burned my retinas......couldn't he have gone for a slightly darker shade? WHY?! The things people do! lol

·
Registered
463 Posts
The doors are terrible. It looks like the door locks and/or window buttons are even painted over. Whoever primed the car got some on the taillights. :eek:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts