DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally got those old rusted bolts off and installed my new Tokico Illumina's and Eibach Pro Kit. I thought everything was okay, but after driving around the block there were alot of noises coming from the struts. I looked back to the rear and noticed the struts were sticking all the way up. I got back home and looked and noticed that the struts were all sticking out. It was soo bad that my front right strut popped out and made a dent on the hood.

Soooo, I'm sure I didn't install something that was needed.

Here is my scenario. I'm install my new Tokico Struts with Eibach Pro Kit on a car that had stock struts with MaxSpeed Coilover springs. I thought I was just missing the rubber spring seat, which I did buy, but I'm assuming I'm missing other things too. All I have are rubber bushings under the strut mounts.

Is there suppose to be another metal peice under the strut mount somewhere? Can someone post a real pic of all necessary parts and in which order they go on? If I have some time I will post pics of all the parts and which order I put them in to show you all.

Damn!!! This project is starting to suck. It took me forever to get some bolts off too!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Damn dude I no how you feel. My driver side was a PITA... I couldnt even get the bottom screw out at all from the lower control arm. But, I did this like a day ago. Let me see what I can rember.

1.Strut
2.Spring
3.Yellow (or w.e color) bushing like a stopper goes on the strut towards the top
4.Dust cover
5.Rubber piece with a metal cylinder in the middle of it
6.The rubber where the spring sits on
7.The metal bracket with the 3 screws
8.Another rubber type of thing goes in the middle of the metal bracket
9.A small metal like a washer thing
10.Then the final screw that screws everything together at the top

That is the order I belive from bottom to top, if you still dont get it pm me or somehting I'll see if I can help.

Picture going up on Body Tech Forum (check my springs ans shocks out on there)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BosnianMafia250 said:
Damn dude I no how you feel. My driver side was a PITA... I couldnt even get the bottom screw out at all from the lower control arm. But, I did this like a day ago. Let me see what I can rember.

1.Strut
2.Spring
3.Yellow (or w.e color) bushing like a stopper goes on the strut towards the top
4.Dust cover
5.Rubber piece with a metal cylinder in the middle of it
6.The rubber where the spring sits on
7.The metal bracket with the 3 screws
8.Another rubber type of thing goes in the middle of the metal bracket
9.A small metal like a washer thing
10.Then the final screw that screws everything together at the top

That is the order I belive from bottom to top, if you still dont get it pm me or somehting I'll see if I can help.

Picture going up on Body Tech Forum (check my springs ans shocks out on there)
That sounds like what I did too. On step 5, the only metal peice I had aside from the washer thing on top was the 2 inch long cylinder where the rubber bushings on the bottom and top of the strut mount fitted on.

#8 you, does that rubber actually fit inside of the hole of the strut mount or does it just sit on top?

Aside from the spring seat, I only had one rubber bushing under the strut mount and one over the strut mount; but not one fitted in the middle of the strut mount. I think my rubber bushing that I put under the strut mount has a ring cut-out around it.

I need to get some real pictures to see what I'm doing wrong. I have drawing diagrams of the parts, but that just isn't helping.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here goes some pictures:

This first pic you can see how the strut popped up. This is the front passenger side.

In this second picture you can see the parts that I have. This is the rear passenger side.

That's all that I have. So what's missing???

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
LMAO.... This reminds me of when I installed my tokico blues... I was like WTF? I fixed that by putting some washers that are big enough that wont go though the hole and hold the shock in place...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking about putting in some washers too, but I wasn't sure if that would be proper.

Skywise's link took me to some suspension diagrams and I think I found what I'm missing. I think it's the "Cup Assembly". I'm assuming this is a metal "cup" looking like thing, but I guess a strong washer would probably work too.

Any suggestions would be great! Would a washer about the size of the top washer work?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
frankozz said:
LMAO.... This reminds me of when I installed my tokico blues... I was like WTF? I fixed that by putting some washers that are big enough that wont go though the hole and hold the shock in place...

On the struts there are two parts that the washer or the cup can sit on. A smaller one above and right below a larger one. With the washers that you used... did it sit on the smaller one or the larger one? How many washers did you use for each strut?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I ended up putting two washers into each strut in place of the "cup". Hopefully this holds. I bolted everything back into place and it seems like it's working ok. No strange noises and the struts haven't popped out yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Red1991TSI said:
I had the same issue. You need 2 washers per side. If you don't have a bottom one on there, the strut rod will push up through the bushing. If you don't have a top one on there you can't tighten down the rod nut properly. I think you've got her fixed now.

I hope so! I haven't had a chance to drive it around yet, so hopefully it's ok.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Yes, you will be ok, I remember when my strut went up like that, I freaked out at first and then got pissed because that meant I had to do it all over again... and the front ones are a bitch!... at least on my old 2g...But congrats man and I hope your washers don't take a shit on you :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
frankozz said:
Yes, you will be ok, I remember when my strut went up like that, I freaked out at first and then got pissed because that meant I had to do it all over again... and the front ones are a bitch!... at least on my old 2g...But congrats man and I hope your washers don't take a shit on you :p
Thanks man! I hope it's all good too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.