DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today as I drove I had a problem. I stoped at a sign then proceed when I go to throw 2nd the clutch pedal stays down and the gear wont come out. I force it out and kick up the clutch but no wit wont take any gears. The tranny is good because it goes in when off and will take of if left in gear then started but it just shoots out. Any probable causes? also the pedal feels really funny unlike an ACT 2600

------------------

·
Registered
205 Posts
Isn't that one of the symptoms for a walking crank? I've only experienced that with cars that have a cable clutch, not the hyrdraulic ones.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Did you check for hydrolic fluid leaks, maybe a fitting blew out or something.
But more likely i think the problem is somewhere around the clutch release cylinder or fork.
Check the release cylinder (at the bottom front of tranny) for any visable problems. If that looks good it could be an exagerated version of a problem i just had. The clutch lever, which is located at the end of the rod that your clutch pedal and brake pedal pivot on, might be wollowed out really bad. This happened to me and prevented my clutch from disengaging. If this is the case, yours is far more severe than mine. But it is a fairly easy fix.

Or perhaps the clutch itself is toast.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GSXALEX.....you are problably right. Only thing theh clutch is new has 700 or so miles. I will check it out today and post my results

------------------

·
Registered
729 Posts
Did you just go to a higher pressure clutch, like a 2600? That extra pedal pressure will also put extra strain on everything from the fork to the pedal. If any parts were already worn, the extra pressure might have finished what was started.
I dunno, im just babeling.

hope it's not serious.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recommend replacing the clutch release (slave) cylinder if you are replacing your clutch with a high performance one. That and a good clutch fluid bleed.
Also sometimes the slave cylinders don't work after they are taken off and put back on. I think they are about $50 from places like Conicelli.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I bled the system and teh slave is moving all the way, But I noticed now while I was more calm and not so pissed a dragging sound coming from the tranny. Also I have no pressure anymore.

------------------

·
Registered
729 Posts
"no pressure"
Do you mean no pedal pressure?
give us more info, like are you sure the release cylinder is pushing the fork all the way when you press the pedal?

[This message has been edited by gsxalex (edited September 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Sounds kinda like the clutch release lever and throw-out bearing weren't assembled correctly or the lever popped off of the ball stud (that's the part that the clutch release lever clips to) and it just took 700 miles for it to pop. Or like gsxalex pointed out, the extra pressure of the 2600 wore out some parts(specifically, the release lever and/or the ball stud, I think)that could've already been quite worn.
Hope this helps,
good luck!

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oK there is no pressure on the clutch pedal. It feels like there is a stock worn clutch in the tranny, but there is a fairly new ACT in it. This is really messing me up cause I wanted to get a few passes in before they close E-Town to see what mu new carcan do.

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
My friend just replaced his clutch and had very similar problems like you mentioned. Bled the lines and replaced the slave cylinder, still problems, little pedal pressure and would occasionally stick to the floor. What fixed it is to adjust the clutch pedal itself. How you do it I am not really too clear, he found out from talking to Tym Switzer at Buschur Racing.
Anyways I hope this helps. If this doesn't work I don't know what it would be, perhaps a faulty installation.

Actually I just saw this on "tip of the day"at dsm.org.

[This message has been edited by pushandpull (edited September 15, 2000).]

·
Registered
729 Posts
You know what i just thought of...
Junior, have you gotten under your dash yet? There is an adjustment screw or bolt that attaches to the clutch lever. If this adjustment piece was at the end of adjustment it is possible that it would fall out of place and give you problems like you have.
Just another thought.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went under teh dash but, I found my problem...........The damn throw out came off. That is is teh sound and teh reason my clutch is engaged all teh time.

Thanks Guys for all teh responces and help..

------------------

1 - 14 of 14 Posts