DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, DMS Comm.

Ok I want to let you guy's hear about my little problem with this company (TurboChargers.com). I bought a turbo 20G from them about 1 month ago. I had a Buschur Racing Big 16G ported and clipped on my car for about 60,000 miles and had NO problems with it EVER. I decided to sell it and go bigger. So that is why I did a little research on turbos and this place had 20G's on sale. So I bought this turbo and put it on my car and tuned it on the dyno and things were great 150 LBS of comp. 20PSI, EGT's were 1540 all the way to redline. I was on the freeway making a normal 4th gear pull and pulling hard I must say :) When I hear a POP at 6k and I look in the rearview and see nothing but black smoke. So I slow down and feel 2cyl's missing and when I give it gass I hear a funny noise like a vacume cleaner, and there is no boost? So I take it easy for about a mile and both cyl's pick back up and running fine but when I would hit 0 boost on the gage it would loose the cyl's. again? Hmmmm. What is going on here.
So I get home and look things over, check comp, it's fine check spark plugs they looked AWESOME, a little rich but that is a good thing :), I did a leak down test and all 4 cyl's have nothing more than 7% leakage. So I start the motor up and rev up and it pegs the 02 voltage just like there is a intercooler leak? but that funny noise is still there and it is comming from the turbo? So then I decide to take off the intake and see what is going on. I took off the hose to the comp. housing and I feel a little more shaftpay than I would like, pluss I can see where the wheel was hitting the comp. housing, just a little bit, the wheel looked ok and no fins were damaged. Now I am wondering what the exhaust side look's like. So I proceed to take off the turbo the rest of the way, and what do I see!!! Yup that is right the shaftplay was more accesive than I thought. You could clearly see that the internal bearings have faled and the shaftplay caused the exhaust wheel to hit the housing breaking off 1 finn and chewing up the rest. Now keep in mind that I have had no pryor problems with my car. Since I just bought this turbo I assumed that if I sent it back and told them the intire truth what happned they would warrinte my 20G. And as I am sitting here shaking in so much RAGE. When I hear there exuse on what caused the turbo to fail. They (TurboChargers.com) told me that there was oil contamination (which I just changed my oil the same time that I put on the 20G) and somthing went through my engine! Now WTF is that? I am so mad at that exuse that I just want to puke! I have taken geat pride in my engine and I have NEVER had 1 problem with it. But they still will not listen to me and are sending my 20G back to me un-repaired!! So I reply to there website to tell them how I feel and that is why I am starting this tread to inform all of you that this place is shady and I have heard this from so many other people now I should have researched this place a little more before I made my dis. to buy this turbo.

Sorry for the LONG RANT but I just wanted to voice my oppinion. In my mind "DO NOT BUY ANY TURBO'S FROM TurboChargers.com."
You just might have the same problem that I ran into....

Thanks,
Dan Weaver
www.ColumbusDSM.com
ForceFedIndustries

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I have heard A LOT of stories like this from many different people. I highly recomend avoiding that shop entirely.

·
Registered
103 Posts
oh man that sucks dude. I'm putting on a big16g i got from them next friday, and hope that doesn't happen to me:( Sorry to hear abuot that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know

That is ok,

I bought this turbo through Force Fed Industries who was using them for there turbo source and now thigs are changed we are looking for more vendors to buy from like FP and other great turbo shops out there cuz as you know, there is always 1 more better vendor out there ;)

Thanks,
Dan Weaver

·
Registered
57 Posts
From turbochargers.com

TURBO INSTALLATION GUIDE

Note: 12 Month / 12,000 Mile Warranty Will Be Void If The Following Installation Guide Is Not Followed In Its Entirety. We Do Not Pay For Subsequent Damage.

Check the operation of engine to make sure it meets manufacturer’s specifications.
Replace the oil supply line in all gasoline applications. Clean line in diesel app.
Do not use a thread sealer (SILICONE) on any oil line.
Check oil drain for restrictions to flow such as kinked or deteriorated rubber sections and sharp bends. On fresh reman engines and or heads flush all oil passages,
Check for contamination and obstructions such as kinked, worn and plugged oil lines and oil passages. If applicable, check inter or after-cooler for the same.
Remove and thoroughly clean intercooler.
Replace the air filter element. Check for flow restrictions, both intake and exhaust, including catalytic converter.
Check for and remove all foreign objects from the intake air tract, and secure all hoses.
Replace the oil and oil filter. Replace any crank case breather elements.
Verify that the actuator “C” clip is secure.
Verify that the oil drain direction is vertical.
Verify the tightness of all clamps and bolts, secure lock tabs if applicable.
After installation, be sure to remove all tools from the engine compartment.
Before starting the engine, disable either the fuel or ignition system to allow the engine to be cranked without starting. The engine must be cranked until normal oil pressure is developed. Once oil pressure is achieved, then you may start the engine.
Repeat after all oil changes.

Hot shut down. That is, turning the engine off prematurely without allowing sufficient time for the turbo to cool.
Infrequent oil, oil filter, and air filter changes.
Foreign matter and / or obstructions in the turbocharger air or oil system.
Improper engine maintenance. Operating engine when out of tune or in need of adjustment or maintenance.
Related engine part or engine failure. For example, a cracked head, broken or worn piston rings, blown head gasket, clogged radiator, and impact damage due to accident

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved :)

Well now we have the problem fixed. We ForceFed Industries are now the proud buyer of turbos from Forced Performance. No more problems with TurboChargers.com

Dan Weaver

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
There is a dsm talk member "wayne". He works at tb..com, I would think he has a reply to this problem or maybe he hasn't seen it yet???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts