DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I bought a 1990 Plymouth Laser 5-speed FWD 6-bolt roller for $500. My goal is to use as many spare parts as possible that are literally laying around the house. I think it'll be fun to document just how much it is going to cost to get this car running again. Beyond that, it should be laughable as to what can be done with all of the spare parts a hard-core DSMer just so happens to have laying around the house. This car will pretty much go together with spare parts, save buying a few items that should be bought or are just too rare to have laying around or donated by friends.

Here's where it started:

The car bent some valves and the previous owner removed the head, sold the turbo and started to slowly part the car out, then lost interest to invest the time even in a part-out. The car was 2 miles away and the PO had a dolly we could even use to trailer the car home. Quickly we bargained and I returned 2 days later to pick it up.

The day before picking the car up, I water-tested the valves in a spare 2g head I had around and found them to be fair. The cam towers looked good, so a little clean up should be all it takes to have it ready to bolt on. I ran it past the machine shop and they again tested the valves and said they were good to go. Brought the head home, knocked some of the oil drain casting flash out and ported the oil feed. Today I returned it to the machine shop for drilling of the head bolt holes, decking and general cleaning. Since I was in the area, I also opted to swing through the local junk yard.

Low and behold I found a lot of stuff I knew I'd either eventually need to buy or wanted.

Fog Lights
1g Non-cruise throttle cable (no cable in car)
Seat belt trim
seat lever trim
extra shift boot and shift knob
an extra fuel rail spacer to go with the two I currently have
both front splash shields
1g N/T FPR (may not use it after reading)
6 of the little paper clip things for fuel injectors and underhood connectors
misc hardware to install it all

Total: $25.11

The night I bought the car, I won an ebay auction for a 1g RRE intercooler kit, including all the duct work and clamps for $254.00

Running Total: $279.11

The car has a remarkable number of 90 parts that came along with it.

90 throttle body
90 fuel rail
90 CAS
90 ECM
battery bracket
1g intake
1g and 2g throttle body elbow
upper timing cover
radio trim
coolant overflow
90 coil, igniter and transistor
extra shocks & struts with Eibach Sportline springs
OEM oil cap

I may have missed some things, but considering how I'll document in this thread, what's not mentioned is already with the car

The interior is almost entirely there save a few push pins. I completely swept it out today and pulled a few pieces for cleaning. The hatch cover is intact and works well. It has a 1-piece rear seat back too. I pulled the hatch carpet and took it in for power washing. The lower cardboard was badly warped so I'll cut another spare well cover once it's done drying (wood is on hand from another project). The interior carpet will come out for the same treatment at some point also, but I ran out of daylight. The seats are in remarkably good shape, but I'll clean them up a little also when they are out.

For now the items that I know I'll still need are:

6-bolt water outlet, thermostat housing and thermostat
Injectors
gaskets
timing components
turbo oiling
6-bolt head studs

Yeah, there's not much else I can think of. Items being re-used:

Vibrant Street Power muffler (car has a thermal R&D turbo back, but the muffler is gone)
2g Intake
2g Head
2g cams
2g cam gears
2g exhaust manifold (ported) and heat shield
2g o2 housing (ported)
Turbo Lab billet 20g-TD06SL2 (yes, it's just sitting around)
Walbro 190 fuel pump
2g MAF
2g injen style turbo inlet
2x fuel rail spacers
1g BOV
Possibly my old 2g stock FPR

I'm sure there is also more stuff floating around here that'll get used.

A buddy has already donated a valve cover, ugly oil cap and a cam tower dowel.

Lifters, rockers, HLA are all in a DIY parts bath I made up for $0 today. I'm slated to get the head back on the 16th. I don't know if I'll be ready for it quite yet, but it'll be interesting to pop the hood and start hanging hardware.

Slipped the fog lights in just to see how they looked before cleaning them up and I think it's a major improvement to the front end.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, I almost forgot- there are more parts on hand!

I have good battery
PCV valve (one in free valve cover is questionable)
Spark plug cover
valve cover hardware

I also have 4x new Hanhook tires I scored from work as take-offs from a car with 250 miles on it. They are 205-60-16s, but I'm reading they'll clear with no problems.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Riffled through the attic a bit more and found a factory bov return hose- no idea if it'll work with the new intercooler setup however.

pulled out my old boost controller

Found a TurboXS RFL Bov that I'd started to setup for recirculating, along with an unmolested 1g BOV.

Found a brand new, OEM CAS seal still in the wrapper that I've had for god nows how long. Funny since I never needed it until now.

Also scrounded up a good radiator cap, harmonic balancer and valve cover-to-intake fuel filter "catch can."

Pulled my walbro 190 out of hibernation also.

I've been soaking the lifters, rockers and HLA for a few days now. I've pumped the lifters out a few times. It's amazing how much crud can get built up in there!!!! For 1g lifters, these things are going to be clean and quiet.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The interior on this car is surprisingly well taken care of. For being born 2.5 decades ago, it is in far better shape then expected. Of course, the years have taken their toll on some areas and there is what looks to be some kind of red drink that has been spilled, however with some diligent cleaning, I should be able to return this interior to near factory like condition... well, close enough to factory for being built in 1990.

The center counsel surrounds had already been removed when I bought the car, but they were in the trunk and filthy. I've cleaned them up along with the trunk carpet which will be reinstalled as soon as I cut a new floor. I'd also vacuumed the carpets and pulled the rear seat for scrubbing to give me an idea as to what I was truly getting into.

The front seats could use some scrubbing, so out they came. This revieled just how bad the carpet is. Of course, anything that can be removed and cleaned will help bring this interior back to a much more satisfactory level for someone who's motto is cleanliness. Oily film and soda builds up, then collects dirt and stains pieces- that simply won't do.

Out came the seats.

From cleaning up my spyder's interior one of the most successful methods of restoring the interior is to get the carpet as best as it possibly can be. A can of carpet cleaner or a shampoo doesn't do it for 20+ year old stains. Out comes the carpet.

Now this is what I'm talking about- the sure fire method to clean the carpet. Once pulled, get over to a car wash.

Now soak the living hell out of the carpet with degreaser. I was spraying this thing for 5 minutes. You can literally see the dirt pour out of the carpet at this stage, but those hard set stains will take some time.

Box it up still covered in degreaser and let it really soak in for the next few days.

Onto scrubbing out the seats and plastic bits.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got another $12 into the car wash which puts the running total at $291.11

Re-used some old board and made a new trunk floor to replace the cardboard that was full of mold and sagging. The trunk is about as clean as it'll get.

Don't use your trunk to store parts or dirty tools. Shame on whoever does this and ruins their carpet.

Eventually I'll get around to throwing a subwoofer and amp back there. Got a spare woofer so why not. A head unit, amp and possibly a box will get sourced from a pawn shop.

The lower portion of the back seat was stained really bad, but it came out looking great. Took this after re-installing the lower cushion. Check out that one piece rear!!

Since the parts were all out in order to remove the carpet, I spent all day cleaning up the interior bits. The center consul cleaned up reasonably. I was able to fix the ash tray lid with a piece of coat hanger. It's missing a corner but otherwise the whole unit is in good shape. Scrubbed the hell out of it and installed a new shifter boot that I grabbed from the junk yard. That was a freebie part and wasn't even really necessary, but there was a small tear in the original. I also cleaned up both shift knobs, but I think I'll use the 2g.

This thing was gross, but who'd of known.

All the bits- cleaned!

I snagged a pair of seat back release levers since one was missing and I wanted the colors to match. More free parts from that junk yard run.

Now the seats- the seats weren't bad, but they were a little dirty. The material is a pain to work with since the nap likes to make it continue to look dirty. The staining on the passenger's seat bottom is all gone. I'm happy with the results, but wish there weren't cigarette burn marks.

I like the continued carpet onto the center consul surrounds in a 1g. It's very period correct and was very stained. All all of them have now been washed out and looking good as new. Lot's of time invested into the pieces you see here, but will be well worth it once the carpet is dry and everything goes back together.

Scrubbed down the door panels also. No pictures of them but the staining that filled the car also spilled onto the doors. No idea how to get the speaker grills perfect, but they are passable now.

The shoulder belts have a beauty trim where they slide into the center consul. One was missing, snagged two from the junk yard. Got them cleaned up and installed around the belts today. I had to slice them open to get around the belts, but I don't think I'll ever notice once everything is back together. I'll just be happy that the pieces are there and they match. The price was perfect also- free.

Finally, the carpet. I didn't have it soaking in a pool of degreaser like I should have done. It started to dry out in some areas, so I ran it back to the car wash and blasted it out clean. 15 minutes in and I ran out of tokens. I loaded up and came home to finish getting diluting the degreaser out with a garden hose. It's hanging and may be fully dry by tomorrow! I must say, it turned out as expected- possibly better!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stains are all gone my good man. Anything you see is nap, shadow or still drying.

Unless you are talking about the trunk carpet.... at which point, I may go crazy on that after looking at it and hating the fact that it's dirty.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Meh. Wish I could find deals like this. Seems they only pop up when I'm stone broke. Soon as I got money, everyone wants $6k for a non-running project POS.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Putting the interior back together now- looking great as expected.

Picked up a set of head studs for $60.00

running total at $351.11

Working with Miller Import Parts now for a bunch of little bits and pieces for both the 1g and Spyder.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A massive list was sent to Miller Import parts- a few small bits for the spyder, but a pretty long laundry list of fastners, underhood parts and other bits for the 1g. If he can fulfill it all, I'll have everything but gaskets, crush washers, injectors, timing components and time left until I can have this car running.

Red - I did as you suggested and sprayed down the trunk stains with some carpet cleaner, then went crazy on them with a brush.

The stains lifted out much better then I expected.

I finished up bolting the interior in save a few of the center consul carpets. I know the center consul lid is an eye sore, but I think a buddy of mine is willing to donate one in good shape.

Smoothed out the valve cover. Going to pick up some paint for it and possibly some floor mats this evening. Got to take the cover with me to work tomorrow to clean it out underneath, then paint.

No news on the cylinder head at this time.

I did find that the ECU harness has a few nips in it from a previous SAFC install. I haven't decided what I'll do about that yet as I haven't elected for what size injector I'll run, but it's likely that I'll pick up an SAFC for fuel tuning.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Non-cruise control throttle cable went in - another free part from the junk yard.

Ordered up my Felpro 9627PT composit head gasket from O'reilly auto parts along with a can of paint for the valve cover. There's another $46.60

Running total is $397.71.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Opted to return the head gasket since I could score it cheaper through Rock Auto. I also picked out almost all of the other gaskets I know I'll need. $55.21 for the head gasket along with valve cover, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo mounting gasket kit, and throttle body. A lot of the stuff is on clearance and I'm happy to run the gaskets as selected. The only different choice I would have made would be to get a heat barrier intake manifold gasket, but again- this car should be built on the cheap.

This revises the running total: $416.31

I'm not doing too bad considering the intercooler was $254.00. I'm still at $162.31 without it. If the head runs the $70 quoted and MIP doesn't gouge me, I'll may end up under $1k-$1,500 for a stout little DD.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Looking really nice, what a good find too.

PS: should'a sent that valve cover to your truly... I have not painted one for a while!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sleeps- unless you would have invested an ungodly amount of time for an extremely unique paint job at a price that was less then what it would take to ship, this cover isn't really worth it. It's been shaved, but is very wavy. Even after some clean up, there are still multiple low spots. If I were to take it completely smooth, I fear I may sand a hole in it. It won't look perfect, but I have a solution that may hide the imperfections once I get a bit of free time tomorrow.

Yesterday after work I visited a friend, Josh Hale, who's another local DSMer. He supplied this project with a much better center console lid, a 3 piece wing and the brackets. It bares to mention, I'm in debt to this guy in many ways as he's bought parts from me but has rarely ever asked for a dime for the items he's provided. He's given one of the 1g BOVs as well as 2 7-bolt blocks. While one of the blocks is trash, the other will go to use for building the Spyders 2.3L. However, the trashed block is where I acquired the head for "Spare Parts." Countless free parts have come this way and the amount of appreciation I have for this guy and what he's done for me warrants recognition and gratitude.

The intercooler kit arrived yesterday. I pulled it out of the box just long enough to oggle it in front of the car, freeze my ass off, then head to work. Winter has been extremely mild until the last few days. The head bolts arrived today. I've heard my first response from M.I.P. and am working to iron out the details. I need to call the machine shop tomorrow for an update. Gaskets shipped today and should arrive Friday.

I slurged a little this morning and bought the cheapest CD player/Aux input I could find on ebay. If this thing even powers on, I may be impressed. The unit was $18.95 shipped from Hong Kong. Shipping was included but has to run at least half of that, so the quality of the unit should be phenomenal. I think the single din pocket is going to cost me more then head unit above it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131645933919?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This brings the running total to $435.26.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Center consul lid is installed and really ties the interior together.

Got a call from the machine shop and they are wanting to pull the valves to deck the head. Valve stem seals should arrive from Advances warehouse today so I can drop them off at the machine shop this afternoon, then it's back to the salvage yard to source a few things I over looked.

The first of two Rock Auto packages arrived today. None of the parts are correct. This is the first issue I've had with Rock Auto, but it's clear that they sent me someone else's order. Nothing but Chevy parts. I've got an email out to them now, however the two gaskets that should have arrived aren't necessary immediately aside from giving me the opportunity to port the intake manifold at the TB inlet.

Miller Import parts got back to me on the list and is asking a small fortune for the plastic clips I've requested. This is the reason I'll be going to the junk yard today. I should be able to find a bunch of this stuff and since it's warm, I may spend some time looking at whatever else I can find.

2 coats of paint have been applied to the valve cover. I'm hoping it drys less glossy since I opted to go with wrinkle black.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Depending on the plastic clips I would not necessarily look at the junkyard. I did my 1g door panels using 'recycled' clips and needless to say every time I open or close the door they pop in and out of the holes...if you have the part number it's worth looking at OEM vendors or even aftermarket such as http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Mitsubishi_Clips_And_Fasteners_s/70.htm

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Miller has been really upping his prices lately for some reason. Charging double to triple what he previously sold me stuff for, with no excuse other than "realized I was giving them away". I think he's letting his business go to his head. But he'll learn, one way or another, what happens if you start trying to overcharge a bunch of DSM'ers. :p

Add this to the fact that he sold me a "zero mile freshly rebuilt" longblock that looked like someone put sludge and rhino lining in the exhaust ports, and that smokes. His response when I sent him a message about it, showing a video of the ports was "looks normal to me".

TBH I'd avoid miller from now on unless it was absolutely a last ditch effort, and there is absolutely, literally, no other option period.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After a trip to the yard and picking up a plethora for clips and stuff for another $9.50, I've shortened the MIP list and have sent him $100 for the following. Some of it is for my Spyder, so we'll pull $5 from that for the running total.

– 1g oil return line
– 1g-6bolt thermostat/water outlet/radiator cap complete with all sensors
– 1g oil feed and the hardware

The "extras" list has been reduced to the following:

– 3x-4x retainers for the hatch mounted 3rd brake light
– 1g Ash Tray (un broken)
– 2g 2x push pins that hold the mirror cover in place
– 2x 2g tan center consul side plastic plugs
– 1g turbo 5-speed FPR

I was able to get enough good weather stripping clips that the passenger's side seal no longer gets caught in the door. I also grabbed up the driver's side motor mount nuts since the majority of them were missing. A rubber bumper for the center console, some dash plugs behind the steering wheel, the radiator bracket to the front bumper (the only thing I was charged for) that apparently the 1ga doesn't use, and likely some other odds and ends I have already installed that are so insignificant they aren't worth mentioning.

The big score was the 1g radio bezzel with a single din pocket and a really good condition factory oil cap which got a fresh seal from from a poor cap that was on hand. I grabbed a few things for my 2g also, but again they were just clips.

The price for the machine shop is going up due to disassembly. They'll be installing new valve stem seals since it's apart and I took in my old set of factory springs and retainers so they could measure and use the best-of-the-best springs of 32 for re-assembly.

Valve stem seals set me back another $28.14

Running Total: $567.90

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Sleeps- unless you would have invested an ungodly amount of time for an extremely unique paint job at a price that was less then what it would take to ship, this cover isn't really worth it. It's been shaved, but is very wavy. Even after some clean up, there are still multiple low spots. If I were to take it completely smooth, I fear I may sand a hole in it. It won't look perfect, but I have a solution that may hide the imperfections once I get a bit of free time tomorrow.
I was more joking, I had one like that with alot of of low spots was a pain. Took a long time. Anyway looking forward to see what goes down.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The first set of gaskets arrived. Now I'm getting anxious!

As for the interior, here are some much better shots. I can't do much with the wear in the carpet, but it looks like there are a few spots I'll touch up on it. I will get floor mats, so it's all pretty much me just being anal, but I can't decide what color and if I want to drop some coin on some custom cuts. They are worth it, but I'd likely only splurge when I have it running.

The valve cover came out looking acceptable. Pictured is also my old spark plug cover which will get a little make over along with the nifty looking stock oil cap.

I was able to grab the fender liners as freebies during the first visit to the junk yard. While I don't intend to run the SMIC, I always wonder why people would ever toss the liners to the side. I can only imagine how useful this thing must be in it's current state.

Splurged a little bit more this morning however. I have a thing about key rings. My convertible has a similar new-old-stock fob (Eagle of course). I love the period correctness of these things, and the tan should match the interior pretty well IMHO.

Grabbed a hand full of fastners that may work better with the weather stripping, along with a battery lug end and a pair of bulbs (assuming my center console's are burned) from work.

I showed my boss pictures of what I've been doing on my days off. He used to own a 1g N/T that he thought was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Low and behold he has the factory radio and tape deck still and he's going to give it to me. I have no idea which version he has, but if it is the style with an AUX port, I'll likely use that over the $18.xx China unit.

Running total: $582.44

1 - 20 of 100 Posts