DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 98 Tsi AWD since new and still enjoy the vehicle. I have an opportunity to purchase a second 91 Tsi AWD, manual, stock for $1,500.00. The only thing I noticed wrong with it right away was the drivers window on the top doesn't seal and sticks out away from the top about an inch.
Since it's the weekend and it just came in yesterday the salesman doesn't have access to the keys until Monday when I have another opportunity to take a closer look and hear it run. It has 104,000 miles.

Problem is I understand 2G's better then 1G's and know what to look for on those. At $1,500.00 this seems like a great buy as the body is in pretty fair shape. I don't see the need to compression check the motor as I plan on getting a rebuilt from buscher. My goal for the vehicle would be around 350 HP. Tires are pretty decent.

I have read that the 92-94 DSM's are the choice to have. Better tranny's and stronger drivetrains yet there are a few 90 - 91 reaching 200,000 mi and seem to be tuff as hell.

Please comment, thanks.

Bill Norton
98 Tsi AWD
91 Tsi AWD (Maybe)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Go for it! That is a great price, I just bought a 91 TSI AWD for $3500 with 78K. I also have a 90 Eclipse Turbo with 150K and still running strong, I would buy it in a second!! Even if you end up not liking it, you could always re-sell it for a pretty good profit.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Mine cost $3,000 (recently rebuilt engine), the wifes '91 Tsi AWD cost $2,100... Sounds like a good deal; if it sounds good, runs good and drives well. The window should be an easy fix with minimal cost if any... Besides that, I love the pop-up lights, so I might be biased!

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I now have to learn what the 1g's are all about. I love reasearch! I may sell my 98. It's been a great car but the notion that it may crankwalk on me at any time doesn't set well with me. My archer downpipe and denso fuel pump on my 98 should bolt on to the 91?

Bill Norton
98TsiAWD

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I don't think so...When ordering parts for my car; I've noticed that there are always different part #'s that are directly divided between years '94 and '95. 90-94 being 1gen and 95+ being 2gen, respectively. Seems DSM pretty much changed alot of stuff in the 2gen's. Some better, some worse.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
10 Posts
sounds like a pretty good deal but check the timing belt to make sure it doesn't need to be replaced. also the window thing isn't anything major it's common on 1g for the windows to get stuck. dsm.org has a couple of ways to fix that problem. mine does it too.

mike 91 tsi awd
currently broken down in another state

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot about the timing belt. In the event I can't come up with a history of work/repair I should probably replace the belt even though it may look ok?

Thanks

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts