DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Quadcylla's audio system: Step 1

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Deacon 
#1 ·
Okay here's my plan for the first stage. I've got some BA 2 way 6x9s in the back. I've got (or should be getting soon) some Kenwoods for the front deck. I've got a Clarion deck with a CD and radio. It's got the 4 speaker outputs plus RCA outs.

So for now I'm thinking hook the deck up.... run the speakers just like stock. Then run the RCA outs back to an amp dedicated for the JL10W3 I'm planning on getting. I'm also thinking of running capacitors to the speakers in the car to cut off the low frequencies to boost thier output. Then the woofer can run the lows.

So how do I hook up the caps? Just solder them in the pos line? What kind of ratings should I at least get? What frequncies should I cut below for each speaker?

What kind of amp should I look at for just running 1 sub (JL 10w3 or 12W3 prolly)?

Does the base controll and treble control on the deck affect the signal coming out of RCA outs or just the speaker outs? If it doesn't affect the RCAs can I skip adding the caps and just turn the base down at the deck?

It's happening :D

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

See less See more
#2 ·
Unless you buy a high current low impedance amp a single 3 OHM sub probably wont be a good idea. If you bridge the amp each channel will "see" 1.5 Ohms and since "most" amps are 2 OHM stable, at most, it will overload the amp. However, if you find an amp that is stable into 1 Ohm it will be ok. A regular 4 OHM sub would be a better choice. You could hook the 3 Ohm sub to a single channel but then you are losing half the available power.

------------------
Chris Holmes
'91 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/5051
Turbo + Intercooler = The Replacement For Displacement

#3 ·
Thanks Chris. Looking at what I have instead of going with a dedicated sub amp I could go another way (but more expensive). I can get a PPI 4x50 amp from my buddy along with the cross over unit he has (sorry I can't remember the kind). If I did what would be a good way to harness what I have?

-PPI 4x50 watt(only other spec I remember is a THD of .02)
-crossover unit (had it running sub and at least 2 other speakers)
-some 4 ohm 10" sub in proper sealed box
-Clarion head with RCA outs
-BA 2 way 6x9s in the rear
-Kenwood (sorry that's all I know so far since my other buddy hasn't gotten back to me) speakers for the front dash

I appreciate the help guys. Wiring is confusing to me too. Do I wanna run just RCAs to what's being amped? What should I amp? Etc....

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

#4 ·
The capacitors are soldered accross the positive and negative leads forming a parallel circuit. This 'captures' the low frequencies in the signal and only allows the higher to go to the speaker. Its easiest just to do it right on the positive and negative leads of the speakers. I'd have to know what you want the cutoff point to be to determine which size capacitor to use.

------------------
Carmen P.
1991 Eclipse GSX

#5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deacon:
The capacitors are soldered accross the positive and negative leads forming a parallel circuit. This 'captures' the low frequencies in the signal and only allows the higher to go to the speaker. Its easiest just to do it right on the positive and negative leads of the speakers. I'd have to know what you want the cutoff point to be to determine which size capacitor to use.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is incorrect. You simply solder the cap. on the pos line to the speaker. The negative should not be tied into the same cap. or cap.'d itself. I think a rating of around 2000 microfarads would work ok, not exactly sure. You can buy a product called "bass blockers" which is simply a capacitor that is attached to the postive line. The crossover point is dependant on the rating of the cap and the ohms of your given speaker. Bass blockers give you any needed info on the package.

Quadcylla- The best sound quality would be to run the 50 by 4 amp to your 4 main speakers and get another amp for your subs. If you have an external crossover this will be easy to hook up from your RCA's. I've found that in a hatchback the best Sound quality results from a crossover point of around 70 to 90 hz.
If you want to just use the 50 by 4 amp for everything, you could use two of the amps channels to run your subs and use the two remaining channels for the front speakers, maybe leaving the rear speakers only powered by your clarion Deck. After adjusting everything properly, this would probably sound great.

#6 ·
My bad, the capacitor should be put on the positive lead. As for the size of the capacitor, on a 4 ohm speaker you'd want a 200uF for all mids and highs going to the speaker. OR you'd want 3.3uF for just the highs going to the speaker.

------------------
Carmen P.
1991 Eclipse GSX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.