DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly are those small metal square attached to the inner side of a wheel for? Im thinking to balance out a wheel, I think. I just did a search and had no luck. The reason Im asking is because I noticed a few are coming loose, almost ready to fall off and I think some are missing because when I got my wheels they had maybe 4-5 of those things. Now my left rear wheel only has two left and those two are really loose. I am wondering what will happen when they all do fall off. Im noticing Im getting a lot more tire noise from my tires latetly, many this be a cause (out of balanced wheels). And no its not bad wheel bearings, thats been checked on all fours. Also, had an alignment done not to long ago. Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Those are probably sticky weights. They use them because the ones you hammer on to the outside lip would look terrible on most aftermarket rims.

I've heard a lot of people say you don't even need those sticky weights on an alloy wheel but I tend to lean towards the safe side and assume you need them.

Personally, I'd find someone to rebalance them and be done with it. It probably won't be more than 60 dollars-ish.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I balance tires all the time. The sticky weights go on the nice rims and the hammer on ones go on all the others. The weights are pretty important. You can get road nose, vibration, and uneven tire wear from out of balance tires. If the tires are off the car balancing takes about 5 minutes, if not its going to take longer, at least where I work, because there's like appointments and lack of garage spece. Still shouldn't cost more than 20-30 bucks you're getting ripped off if it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts