DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright.. I'm getting my 1g TSI probably early next week.. and I'm busy ordering things for it right now.. I ordered a manual boost controller that I'm going to stick on as soon as I get the car.. but I also need a boost guage.,. I don't want the stock one to misread and damage my engine. Boost guages seem to be damn expensive though.. 180-300 for a guage seems a little steep for me.. but I'll do what I have to do.. I was just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a decent one for a little less.

Secondly, I have a muffler lying around and I want to get cat-back built.. I have two questions.. what size should I get the piping, I was thinking 3" all the way through.. and should I also get a high flo cat or maybe a straight pipe there.. it seems like even with a 3" exhaust the cat would choke it a little.. (No emissions here .. yet).

Thirdly, I'm thinking of modifying the airbox by just doing the removal and replacing it with a K&N.. you just need a basic K&N cone filter for this, right? I'll probably also do that MAS and solenoid junk.. I don't remember it but I'm sure you all know it's in the Vfaq.. lol

How much boost should I expect to gain from this? I'm kinda hoping to get the boost up to around.. 14 maybe 15.. is that reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
TalonVin said:
Alright.. I'm getting my 1g TSI probably early next week.. and I'm busy ordering things for it right now.. I ordered a manual boost controller that I'm going to stick on as soon as I get the car.. but I also need a boost guage.,. I don't want the stock one to misread and damage my engine. Boost guages seem to be damn expensive though.. 180-300 for a guage seems a little steep for me.. but I'll do what I have to do.. I was just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a decent one for a little less.

I know that VDO gauges are cheap, and I don't think Autometer is that expensive either.

Secondly, I have a muffler lying around and I want to get cat-back built.. I have two questions.. what size should I get the piping, I was thinking 3" all the way through.. and should I also get a high flo cat or maybe a straight pipe there.. it seems like even with a 3" exhaust the cat would choke it a little.. (No emissions here .. yet).
The best set-up would be no cat, 3-inch piping.

Also, setting the boost to around 14 or 15psi will be fine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You can grab an autometer boost guage for $45 bucks, I'd never pay 100+ for a boost guage unless it has some really fancy features, what exactly were you looking at that was $300?

·
Registered
827 Posts
You can check out the trader (dsmtrader.com); I got about 95% of my parts there.

BTW, I see you're from Rochester... Have you joined the local mailing list? Also, we have the monthly meet this Sunday.

-Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts