DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try race gas on a T25? Just curious. Also, does race gas or octane booster ruin or damage injectors and/or head gaskets???

Thanks
ed

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Octane boosters only raise your octane a minimal amount. If the bottle says it raises the octane "5 octane points" then it would make you tank of 92 octane gas into 92.5 octane. An octane point is 1/10th of a full octane...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dunno about injectors or head gaskets (I don't see how, but I don't know everything) but it will ruin 02 sensors over a period of time.

frisco

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
As previously stated, race gas will not ruin as other systems on the car other than the O2 sensor. However, that is assuming that the race gas you are planning on using is leaded. Unleaded race gas is available, but once you reach a certain octane content, I believe its 112, leaded is the only option. If you can find it, gas stations will often carry 104 and sometimes even 110. These will usually be unleaded.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It is true that the lead that does the damage to the o2. Unleaded would be fine, and of course you can run it with a t-25. Not sure if you'd get much of a gain though.

As for octane boosters, Im pretty sceptical if they really do anything.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't see why racegas might damage a head gasket, I think it actually protects the head gasket because it keeps the engine from detonating. About the injectors, I dunno, maybe lead might build up in the injectors or something. O2 sensors, yep C-14 or C16 are leaded so that means that O2 sensors and cat converters will be damaged. DO not use leadd racegas if you hav a cat.

Octane boosters? I have used 104 and the NOS one. Don't buy those STP because they really don't do crap. My best run was with a bottle of NOS octane booster and I was consistenly running 14.8's that night, so I guess it helps. About the orange coloring on the spark plugs? Don't worry, just clean them re-gap and install.

------------------
'92 Talon TSi FWD
K&N cut air can, DDP mbc @ 15 psi
[email protected] 2.5 60ft

·
Registered
5 Posts
Speaking of race gas,
I'll be going up to Lebanon Valley in NY soon for my first track session. Any prefences to a kind of fuel(VP, Cam 2, etc)? Any real diffences here?

------------------
92 Talon AWD

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was judt wondering where can you find unleaded 110/104 octane? because every once in a while ill put $15 of leaded 110 octane? but i rather put unleaded! i live out in westbury thanxs :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
I got aviation gas once at my local airprt(airstrip). 100 octane was only about $2.50 a gallon when 93 was $1.90 at gas stations because there are no road taxes on Aviation fuel. That stuff was unleaded.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know if I'd use aviation fuel...I was reading an article once about how its rated a little different. I found out that an octane rating is a average of 2 different ratings. YOu know that whole R+M/2 method, and they are very different. I will see if I can find that article.

frisco

1 - 12 of 12 Posts