DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the inside of my engine rust with no anti-freeze in it or is it an aluminum block? Cause I'm thinking I'm not goina be able to get a new radiator for another month.

Thanks!

·
Registered
283 Posts
so you're gonna run without coolant? damn that's risky. I think you have more problems to worry about before rust like a blowing a head gasket or frying rings or valves. A junk radiator shouldn't cost more than $50-100 at the junkyards. Its easy to replace so I why not put it on the good ol' credit cards until you can pay it off but running low/dry on coolant ain't a good thing to say the least.

btw, block is cast iron I think.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
[sarcasm]
Seeing I drive my other car without radiator fluid ever, I figured it would be fine to keep driving this one... :rolleyes:
[/sarcasm]

My car is parked until fixed...

But my other one does still drive fine without radiator fluid.

Edit : I tried to buy a radiator from a junkyard for my 85 cavalier before I sold it... Oh yeah, holes everywhere, wasn't even worth it. I bought it back and they only gave me 60% of my money back, not doing that again.

Edit Edit : Havn't researched Cast Iron... But I'm guessing it will rust... simple question, simple answer, yes, no?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The block is cast iron. Running a car without coolant is not a good idea, ever! The water pump relies on coolant for lubrication. I'm guessing your turbo has a wet bearing housing so running without coolant is a bad idea for the turbo too.

-Joe

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JO_JO410 said:
The block is cast iron. Running a car without coolant is not a good idea, ever! The water pump relies on coolant for lubrication. I'm guessing your turbo has a wet bearing housing so running without coolant is a bad idea for the turbo too.

-Joe
I'm not running the TSi currently without fluid!! I know its dumb and thats why I got a flatbed to take it home for me when I found out my radiator neck was broken up!

Its my other car I'm running without fluid!! Jeeze guys...

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Letting it set for month without antifreeze won't hurt anything. I do hope though, that if you live where it gets cold that your last fill was with antifreeze and not water. There probably still is some coolant in the engine and if water and allowed to freeze it could break the block.

BTW, I priced a new radiator the other day and it was $135 new and available overnight. So, if you can scrape up that amount you could be back on the road soon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might have to scrape up that money damnit... I got one from Mark and its friggin 1/4in taller then my old one! Doesn't fit!! Now how much does THAT suck???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts