DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a turbo upgrade. Is there a way to tell if the turbo being sold is a real MHI turbo? Is there a way to tell if it's a small or BIG 16g?

·
Registered
950 Posts
If you google a picture of an evo 3 turbo you will see it says tdo5 on the compressor housing. Also the fake ones usually have like a tag on it that says evo3 turbo on it or 16g on it. The real ones don't have that. It says the tdo5 and has the serial number on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jon has a good point. I remember looking at a car that had a "real" 16g on it. Once looking at the turbo I saw it had a tag on it that said "DSM 16G." If you see anything like that, run and hide.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,582 Posts
Do you guys know the difference between the Evo III 16g and the Big 16g? Are they the same thing?
As the name implies, the Evo 3 16G came on the Evolution 3 in Japan (and else where). It is a bit bigger then the regular Big 16G.

Blurred: Turbine/compressor housing pic.
I see it, oops, brain fart.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I should have asked this to start off with. Is the Big 16G the best street turbo? I'm not really looking to make huge power gains. I just figure that if I have to replace my turbo anyways, I might as well upgrade to something that's a little more fun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess what I really meant was am I going to be doing any harm by not tuning it for awhile. I plan to get OpenPort and playing around with it but it could be a couple months before I feel like I'm comfortable with flashing my ECU.

·
Registered
259 Posts
As the name implies, the Evo 3 16G came on the Evolution 3 in Japan (and else where). It is a bit bigger then the regular Big 16G.
By just .010", or the thickness of two sheets of notebook paper.

The difference is the better-flowing high-nickel turbine housing which doesn't crack, and the compressor wheel itself on the Evo III has thinner blades and a smaller "hub" area. This makes the compressor both lighter and better-flowing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
By just .010", or the thickness of two sheets of notebook paper.

The difference is the better-flowing high-nickel turbine housing which doesn't crack, and the compressor wheel itself on the Evo III has thinner blades and a smaller "hub" area. This makes the compressor both lighter and better-flowing.
What he said. I have a big 16g but may still upgrade in a bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldn't run the evolll big 16g turbo without updating other parts.
255 Pump
I used 680cc Injectors
I also put an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator
Tune!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts