DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am going to be upgrading to 650cc injectors along with DSMlink in the next few days. I have had a walbro 190 fuel pump for quite a while with no adjustable fpr and it seems to be fine so my question is will I need an afpr since I am going with bigger injectors now? It seems the only bolt on regulator is Buschur racings but it is almost 300 bucks and I don't have time to screw with fitting the other universal types. The car is not a daily driver so... Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
Fuel pump size more than injector size is what determines if you really need an AFPR. With a 190LPH fuel pump I'm sure you'll be fine. I've been running a 190 pump for over 5 years now without any problems.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Yeah, you usually don't have to upgrade until you get to a wally255 or similar. Injector size doesn't really determine if you'll need an upgrade, as they don't really determine how much fuel is being pushed to the rail. The fuel FPR just returns the unneeded fuel pressure to the tank, so you can kinda see how your injectors don't matter as much, just fuel pumps that throw more fuel and higher fuel pressures.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
vaboys2ndgen said:
Doesn't the aeromotive FPR that is very popular just bolt up also?!
Where did this come from? We go from suggesting that he doesn't need one, to suggesting one that bolts up? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
This wouldn't be a bad thought, though, if you do plan on upgrading. I would suggest, especially if you DO plan on going bigger/better, on keeping your eyes open now, start looking for one, you know? The longer you give yourself to look, the better chane you will have of getting a good deal on one...

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
93_GSX said:
^

Still, he doesn't need it.
And how do you know? You don't know he doesn't need one unless you have a fuel pressure gauge installed on his car and are watching what the base pressure is.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Burnett03 said:
And how do you know? You don't know he doesn't need one unless you have a fuel pressure gauge installed on his car and are watching what the base pressure is.
How do I know? The same way the moderator knows, nummie.:chair:

Its not rocket science. A 190LPH won't be able to outflow the stock FPR.

I really think its funny you quoted me as opposed to the moderator. Why didn't you jump his shit, especially since he was the first one to say he should be fine?:chair:

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
93_GSX said:
How do I know? The same way the moderator knows, nummie.:chair:

Its not rocket science. A 190LPH won't be able to outflow the stock FPR.

I really think its funny you quoted me as opposed to the moderator. Why didn't you jump his shit, especially since he was the first one to say he should be fine?:chair:
Sorry, how do either of you know? Just because i call you out on something doesn't mean you need to get defensive and act like an ass.. But seriously you didn't answer, how do you know he doesn't need a regulator? Because someone told you a 190 wont overflow a stock regulator? A 190 can overflow a stock regulator. The only way to know is if you hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see what the base pressure is. If it is not what it should be, 38 on a 1g and 43 on a 2g then you are overflowing the stock regulator and you need a better regulator. Thanks for all the :chair: 's.. I guess that's cool?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Red1991TSI said:
Fuel pump size more than injector size is what determines if you really need an AFPR. With a 190LPH fuel pump I'm sure you'll be fine. I've been running a 190 pump for over 5 years now without any problems.
How do you know you don't need one? Are you running a fuel pressure gauge, if so what's the base pressure?

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
Burnett03 said:
How do you know you don't need one? Are you running a fuel pressure gauge, if so what's the base pressure?
First off, you two need to knock it off.

Now on with my statement. Just because I've been running a 190 with no problems doesn't mean someone else won't. I'm also running a NT FPR which is a little higher in pressure which should help in overrunning it. Now remember technically a FPR IS overrun, that's why it bleeds it back to the tank. What it should do is maintain a certain pressure and bleed the rest back to the tank. It's possible when you have a fuel pump of a much larger volume in which the FPR tries to hold pressure but can't bleed enough of the supply back to the tank, thus fuel pressure goes higher than it's setting should be.

I didn't say he WOULD be fine. I said I'm sure he will be fine since typically the 190 won't over pressurize the stock FPR. Now with our cars being +teen years old, the condition of the FPR begins to come into question. As stated, the only way to really KNOW is to test it with a fuel pressure tester. That goes for just about EVERYTHING. In order to know correct timing a device is needed, same for electrical issues.

I was giving him a general answer to if he REALLY needs an AFPR. The general answer for running a 190lph pump is NO. Some guys even run a 255 without overrunning the FPR, although it IS more common.

Has that unwound everyone's panties?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Burnett03 said:
Just because i call you out on something doesn't mean you need to get defensive and act like an ass.. Thanks for all the :chair: 's.. I guess that's cool?

Don't try and call me an ass, then act like a d-bag yourself. If I feel like throwing around a chair for fun, who are you to tell me otherwise?

I guess its also cool to avoid calling out a MOD, too, then right? Just when someone else brings that up?

Alright, I'm off my soapbox.....:cool:

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
93_GSX said:
^^sorry *puts head down*
LOL, thanks 93. We should all be friends on this site since it's a common shared hobby. Sometimes things can seem a bit snippy. I'm just keeping it down to a dull roar.

The Intarswebs is serious business you know.:rolleyes:

EDIT: I will state that, the name calling will cease! PERIOD!!:chair:

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
93_GSX said:
Don't try and call me an ass, then act like a d-bag yourself. If I feel like throwing around a chair for fun, who are you to tell me otherwise?

I guess its also cool to avoid calling out a MOD, too, then right? Just when someone else brings that up?

Alright, I'm off my soapbox.....:cool:
O boy.. I wont even touch some of the things you've said. It's not about "calling people out." I didn't see steve's post until you brought it up. Why does something little always turn into a pissy, name calling fest on this forum? I'm trying to get better information out and you feel the need to turn this thread to crap. I was trying to state that all cars are different and the best way to see if you need a regulator is to see what your base pressure is, and then decide if you need or want one. So i'll do the same thing i do to my girlfriend.. "Yes you are right, i am wrong, you are wlays right, and i will always be wrong." Feel better?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Red1991TSI said:
First off, you two need to knock it off.
I wasn't being rude towards you with my posts. i was being serious, what is your base pressure at?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts