DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 gsx with a whining problem. I just had my tranny rebuilt by tre about 2 months ago so I know thats not the problem. Its a semi loud whining coming from the tcase or rear diff. It gets loudest while under load (going up hill etc). Is there any way to tell whether its the tcase or rear diff? Its been a problem ever since Ive owned the car. Any info or advise would be awsome.

Btw my rear diff. has the factory lsd.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It's dangerous but try what I did at your own risk. Put the car on four large jack stands. Have some one stand BESIDE the rear of the car. Start the car and gently let the clutch out in 2nd or 3rd gear. Slowly pull the parking brake to simulate rear wheel slip. Have the friend listen along the side of the car to see if the noise can be found. Also you could just gently press on the brake and gass at the same time.

This helped me find out I had a passangers side rear caliper sticking.

Just please be careful when doing this. Don't do it inside a garage or next to anything.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Can you tell if the whining is coming from under you, or behind you?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like its under me. I took the tcase off and found metal filings in the gear oil and the tcase output shaft has side to side play. Im just gonna buy an oem one for $650 unless I can find someone else who has a used one cheaper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts