DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 GS-T automatic with 124K miles. Haven't had any engine problems other than a valve cover leak. It's leaking a little oil now, and the dealer says it's developing a rear main seal leak. He advised not doing anything since it's just leaking a little and the cost would be significant to repair (> $1000). It's more a nuisance on my garage floor than anything else. I estimate it's maybe a tablespoon a day. I may have to add 1/8 qt every other week. The car runs fine.

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this and what should I expect? Will hard driving cause the leak to get worse? Will the seal just give out one day leaving me stranded? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yep I had a similar problem thanks to crankwalk. I would suggest getting it fixed and hopefully your results won't turn out like mine.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The front main seal is behind the harmonic dampener where your accessory belts are and the rear main seal is behind the flywheel inside the transmission bell housing. Neither are fun to get to if the car hasn't been touched (READ: very dirty, greasy, yucky).

Larger Version

[This message has been edited by dsm4eva (edited August 31, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by dsm4eva (edited August 31, 2000).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts