DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I am new to DSM land, I recently got a 90 tsi awd, and its slightly modded, but when I brought it to the track to run it for the first time. I had a really hard time getting into second gear. REALLY bad. even when taking a VERY long time switching from 1 to 2, it grinds really bad. I am guessing that the 2nd gear synchro is beat up badly. and whatever else along with it is shot as well. what I am really wondering is would I be better off rebuilding my trans, or looking for a 94 awd trans? and if I do switch to a 94 trans, is it a direct swap or do I need other things along with it?

please excuse my ignorance :)

Pat

------------------
99.5 VW jetta VR6
90 talon awd

·
Registered
91 Posts
mine does the exact same thing. all i do is pull back directly till you feel a pause then it kinda "eases" itself in and it doesn grind, if i take rpms up alot and shift normal it usu doesnt grind. it also helps by just using your index and middle finger to bring it back, just cuz you wont pull back as hard. just stuff i learned about my car. my synchro is prolly shot too goin from 1-2

------------------
Brian
91 TSi

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Everything is the same, except the shifter. 91-94 use a diffrent shifter, and if you use a 90 shifter with a 91+ tranny, it won't shift too well, and might do tranny damage.

------------------
1992 Eagle Talon TSI
13.8 @ 105.3 mph AT
Being Converted to 5-spd

·
Registered
333 Posts
your transfer case wont match up either. more then likely your 90 is a 22sline and the 94 is a 23 spline.

·
Registered
739 Posts
VWJetta, have you replace the shifter assm's rubber gomets with steel washers yet? how about the pivot points of the linkage arms on the trany, are they worn too(lot of play)?
Try these first before replacing the trany.
My .02

-Kevin.

------------------
May the BOOST be with you!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Im interested in the rubber grommet replacement as above. Is this a fix or something to prolong already damaged tranny componets? Also if you could send me any info you have from your install i would much appreciate it.

------------------
The Grey Ghost

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, ythanks for all the info. you guys are a great help for me since I really don't know much about DSMs yet.

Hey turboholic. I don't know if the washers have been changed to stell ones, but I will be checking it out today. one thing I did find out about the car is that the guy who had it before me was not a very good driver, and he told me that the floormat kept bunching up under the clutch pedal and wouldn't let the clutch totally engage. because of that he was getting alot of grinding into 2nd gear alot. sounds like it got a bit of extra wear and tear from just that.

but anyways.... I'll be looking into a 94 trans/transfer case in the spring time. gotta catch up on some bills before I dump some loot into the talon.

thanks again

Pat

------------------
99.5 VW jetta VR6
90 talon awd

·
Registered
123 Posts
You do not need a new transfercase to run a 94 trans. Simply swap the shaft from your old tranny. The swap can even be done with tranny in car should you ever need to...say you break a tcase and can only find one with the wrong splines.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I thought the 94's had the updated synchros?

I hade my 93 awd tranny rebiult by buschur and i must say it is 100 times better than it used to be. They told me they just put in updated synchros in them with new gears if the old ones are warn.

Anyways i can still grind 2nd sometimes if im not careful(while racing/powershifting) however, i can still powershift 2nd and not grind if i do it a bit more slowly/carefully.

·
Registered
333 Posts
pauleyman. im interested in how you swap out the output shaft with tranny still in the car? too bad the output shaft new cost $250 and i cant afford that either.
i got a 23 spline tranny and a 22 spline TC.
can you swap the parts out inside the TC? i have extras of those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts