DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've been on the Talon Digest for quite some time now. I don't know a whole lot about cars and I figured it'd be a good idea to 'get informed' from a bunch of people who all have some kind of variant of the same car I own. Anyhow, the other day I was checking my email and reading through one when I found something that I'm not sure about. Someone a few days before asked if there were any recalls on 91 TSi AWD's that mitsu/chrysler weren't talking about. Someone responded with the following:

"Just the secret recall to change the muffler bearings giving only 91 awd's 78
more HP"

I wrote to the guy who posted it to see if this is true or not and never got a reply. I own one of these '91 TSi AWD's and I want to know if there's any truth to this or not, for obvious reasons. Has anyone else out there heard about this, and is it for real?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Its funny you mention that. Over here in Japan Mitsubishi recalled all Mitsu's no matter the year. I had to take both my 92 240 VR-4, and my 98 Legnum in. Something about the gas tank neck(the rubber part the conects the tank and cap).

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
The muffler bearing recall effects only the 91-1/2 models.

:) You have been the victim of a hoax. Lets not start talking muffler bearings in this forum :)

------------------
Ted - 95 GSX
[email protected] MPH

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Thanks... ;) I needed that today!

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Sorry if i'm stupid but this doesnt sound right<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If it did, I think you'd be the first user banned from the forums. :) :) (just kidding!)

------------------
Ted - 95 GSX
[email protected] MPH

·
Registered
871 Posts
man this is some funny sh*t. lol for about 10 mins now.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

[This message has been edited by 4npower (edited September 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
No the 91's are not in the recall. THe 91's have a ceramic muffler bearing. THe 92's and up they changed it. What happened was Mitsubishi decided to get cheap. WHen they put the bigger brakes on they skimped elsewhere. They put aluminum muffler bearings. These are no good at all. THey actually restrict the exhaust from flowing freely. You need to get them switched ASAP. But it is tough to find a shop that does them. The reason is you need a plastic welding rod to do so. Nobody specializes in that the parts are too expensive. But while you are doing that you should change the canooten rod. But go to home depot and ge tthe lefthanded screwdrivers. Without them you cannot do the install.

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
Mitch is the best source of muffler bearing info there is. I have seen him be very helpful other places too.

Hey Mitch maybe you should change your username to Canooten since you are such an expert on the subject!

------------------
Ted - 95 GSX
[email protected] MPH

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
I bought my left handed screw driver last week, only problem is, I can't find any left handed lock washers...

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't forget a friend of mine said he was having trouble with his blinker fluid. That should be changed every 15,000 miles.

------------------
Don't forget the Canooten rod.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Go to Pep Girls and tell them you need th eleft handed washers. Like they always do they will ask for what car to look up the part number in the computer. Tell them it is for a Ford Model T. Back in the day they never had right handed washers. They had left handed washers and right handed nuts.

------------------
Mitchy
Don't forget the Canooten rod.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Look guys, stop confusing the poor guy. Forget the Pep girls and left handed screw drivers. You don't really need to change out the muffler bearing. True, the ceramic design allowed a much better thermal efficiency and definately lead to a much more pronounced scavenging effect, but you could emulate that with the Aluminum one. All you need to do is to lube the bearing with some KY Jelly.
Important note though. DO NOT use vaseline. It is petroleum based and could lead to an additional 50HP drop at best. At worst, your car will start feeling progressively slower for approximately 10 months. Then you'll get a surprise in your driveway.

·
Honorary Moderator
1,600 Posts
Yeah Mark (Mtchy) that was me. I still can't find the resevoir for the life of me. I did find the one for the stereo though and I don't think the fluid had ever been changed. I bled the system and refilled it and I think I gained aobut 20 dB. Please lt me know where the blinker resevoir is... my blinker hasn't worked for a year and a half and as I was saying to you I think that's the problem.

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

[This message has been edited by Quadcylla (edited September 08, 2000).]

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
I found that if you hook up the pump that feeds the blinker fluid reservoir up to the turbo charger belt, you can make your blinkers flash 10 times as fast. This also frees up the pulley connected to the distributor, which frees up about 20HP!

Took 10 seconds off my quarter mile time!

Also, for an extra 10HP, go to the performance store and pick up a glow in the dark Honda "H" emblem and stick it on your hood. Looks great and adds power!

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

[This message has been edited by FastFWD (edited September 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
30 Posts
-This is HILARIOUS!!!!! -I can't help but mention that I've actually seen the left-handed screwdriver @ Home Depot!!!! HELLYEAH!! -It was right next to the Metric Cresent Wrenches!!! --Seriously though...

-I have actually had a problem with my OEM "Exhaust BEARING" -LOL!(well actually, it was the OEM crush washer that goes inbetween the Exhaust Man.'s Collector and the Turbo Exhaust inlet... Somehow, it loostened up and managed to tweak itself into a elongated "G" shape, and end up face down, with less than 1/2" of clearance between it and the turbo's Impeller wheel)
-It's funny how much a loose steel spacer ring can sound like bad Turbo bearings through a stethescope!!! I'm wishing that I would have just pulled it apart an looked... But since I thought that it was the turbo itself, I had a 16G to replace it... Dang it, another $500 bux.
Oh well, it WAS well worth it. -Combine a 2G Exh Man & O2 Housing (and a Die Grinder -of course) with the 16g, and I was happy.-No more crush washer/exhaust bearing/steel ring thing in my exhaust to get loose again!!!

-Eben
CC
94 Tsi

·
Registered
18 Posts
There's a Recall on the muffler bearings?! When did that come down? I was visiting relatives in Canada once, and went to a local Satan to have my Blinker Fluid changed, and the mechanic came in and told me my Canooten Rod was bad. I thought "Right, try to shaft the Fornie", but he took me out to the lift and showed it to me. He told me that it was dangerous to drive the car any further. And, if it broke and I ran over any Moose, I could be cited for hunting without a license. I told him to go ahead and change it out, and to check the Turbo Belt while he was under there (An improperly tensioned Turbo Belt and subsequent failure is the leading cause of Parking Lot Disease {Earnhardt's Syndrome} in drivers over the age of 11).

When they were finished, Satan himself presented me with the bill, nearly $4500 Canadian! I was dismayed to say the least, until I checked the Exchange rates and found out it came to like $12 American.

The Moral? Don't travel in Canada without first checking the Canooten rod.

Scott

------------------
DIG through the ditches, and BURN through the witches, and SLAM in the back o' ma' DRAGU-LA-AA!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.