DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been drivable for about 8 months now and I cannot figure out how to fix this oil leak. I believe it's coming from the oil pan seal but I've replaced the seal twice now. Wherever it is leaking from is causing a huge mess due to it dripping onto the flex pipe and then evaporating/smoking everywhere under the hood. I've located the source to be on the back side of the block or on the back side of the pan. I did rebuild the motor and then re-install it. Was there something I could have missed or that I should have replaced while it was out? It's not an insane leak but it does smell and I can see the smoke from it burning on the exhaust rolling out from under my car at stoplights.... kind of embarrassing as you can imagine. There is a sending unit type deal right in the back center of the block that appears to be a possibility. It's just oil gets on everything from smoking upward from the exhaust. I've tried spraying it all off with brake cleaner and then looking but I'm still not 100%. The turbo lines and all are good up front, not very messy.... if you can believe that.... so it's not coming from there. I had a friend at Big 10 Tires put it on a lift, we took off the oil pan, ground off all the all sealant, and re-applied fresh stuff (high temp), and put it all back in. We let it run a while and saw no drips so we put it down. The funny thing is I thought it fixed it but later on that night i smelt it again and was pretty bummed out. Anyone have any sources I should check out to put an end to this bastard of an oil leak? I was told there is no oil pan "gasket" for my car (96 GSX by the way). I did order one that one parts store said they had. It looks like it might fit :dunno: . Do I just have to get a gasket on that sucker for it to hold or what? I'm on an FP3065 turbo on 14lbs of boost at the moment until I get a new exhaust... GST's Apexi N1 system doesn't swap over :( .

Thanks for you time guys.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
If you wanna save some money you can have a muffler shop put a bent pipe where the AWD hump is. This way you don't have to buy a whole new exhaust. The DP is different though so I dunno for sure.

Don't buy the gasket for a 6 bolt oil pan. They are different oil pans.

When you rebuilt the motor did you use a new oil pump? Did you check for cracks in any oil containing vessels. (Vessels is a dumb word in this situation, I know).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly bro It was so long ago I can't remember about the oil pump but I'm pretty sure I did. I need to update my car modifications a bit still.

I've been building my car over a 5 year time period now and I know it inside and out really well so you can get pretty in depth with me on something if you have to. The gasket I ordered that have is for a 2g. It has all the holes for every screw in it. I think it's just an aftermarket cork material one.

I really want to get it to stop BAD. I don't want to push my car really hard with an oil leak like this. I'm exhaust, intake manifold, and a tune away from my horsepower goal (roughly 550-600) and I'm just ready to be done with it.... I know you all know the feeling, lol.

All the oil containing "components" :p seem to be in pretty good shape.
I kinda want to replace that sending unit in the back of the block and see what happens but it's hard to explain to some Autozone, Oriely's, Advanced, etc. people what your talking about sometimes. Lol, kinda off point here but isn't it funny how every time they want to hook their machines up to your 95-96 dsm's you have to argue with them that it's OBD2 and not OBD1?

As fas as the exhaust goes I was just going to check the classifieds on here but it wont let me yet due to the 50 post rule.... I swore I had more then that as long as I've been a member but I guess I havn't. I guess I have way more on dsmtuners.com instead of on here and I just need to do more on this site..... it's ok though... I like the people on here more anyway from what I've read on posts and the kinds of replies I have gotten here. You guys support one another well on here.

I also wanted to let you know, Don, that I just finished reading up on your "DSM Newbie 300-400hp mod's list and details post"... good job imo.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have that same problem, my guess is that the pan might be warped. The oil only leaks out with you drive it cause it oozes out when the oil sloshes around when driving. thats why it does not show leaks overnight or on a lift. I just pulled it off my car, didn't have time to check if it was level across the top. But just like you i have sealed it multiple times and i am always left with a leak.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
They make cork gaskets and some paper gaskets for our oil pans.. They are junk. Best thing i have ever used is "right stuff" made by permatex i believe.. Use that on the pan and watch the leaks go bye-bye.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to look into this "right stuff" and give it a try on my next day off or when I have another vehicle to take to work. Any specific auto parts store that has this sealant by permatex or is it pretty common stuff?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Isint the oilpan a biatch to get off with awd? I have a front wheel drive and It looks like a few bolts are under the tranny and you have to move the tranny to get at them, is what I am saying true or can you leave the tranny on?

·
Registered
33 Posts
On an AWD car, you have to drop the t-case, downpipe, and a subframe brace. Most of the time, you have to remove the axle carrier to block bolts to, to squeeze a socket in there for the 2 hidden bolts. It's not that hard to do, just time consuming. I had a 1G that was leaking from around the top, and it actually had a little rust hole in the pan. So check for that. Also, you said it's coming from the back of the block. There is a bolt in the block that's removable to line up the rear balance shaft... If you didn't put that back in when rebuilt, it'll leak oil from there at higher RPM's. Middle of block, about 2 inches above the oil pan. 14mm i believe.

Justin W

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
unrealallwheel said:
Lol, kinda off point here but isn't it funny how every time they want to hook their machines up to your 95-96 dsm's you have to argue with them that it's OBD2 and not OBD1?

As fas as the exhaust goes I was just going to check the classifieds on here but it wont let me yet due to the 50 post rule.... I swore I had more then that as long as I've been a member but I guess I havn't.

I also wanted to let you know, Don, that I just finished reading up on your "DSM Newbie 300-400hp mod's list and details post"... good job imo.

Yes. It is funny but it also means we don't have to pass emissions here in Illinois since we don't have obd-II. :D

You have 96 posts? What the eff?

Thanks for the props!

·
Registered
374 Posts
+1 On the balance shaft bolt, I just started reading this and it was the first thing that came to mind. :D And it is a 14mm (did my timing 5 times on the head swap)

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
PROZIUM451 said:
+1 On the balance shaft bolt, I just started reading this and it was the first thing that came to mind. :D And it is a 14mm (did my timing 5 times on the head swap)

+2 on balance shaft bolt. it will shoot oil right out the back of the block and on the exhaust. Once I read your description it was the first thing to pop into my head.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EMX5636 said:
There is a bolt in the block that's removable to line up the rear balance shaft... If you didn't put that back in when rebuilt, it'll leak oil from there at higher RPM's. Middle of block, about 2 inches above the oil pan. 14mm i believe.

Justin W
That might be exactly what it is. When I'm just cruising around town it's not so bad, I may go through 3/4 of a quart over a 2-2.5 week time frame. However, cruising in 5th around 3,500rpm's constantly on a 25 mile trip down the highway I need to add about a half quart to top it off when I get there, but if I drive slower on the way back and just take my time then it's not so bad. That would also explain why I smell it and notice it more when I'm in a hurry (driving faster and higher rpm shifts). All in all this bolt still needs some looking in to. I'm definitely going to check this out on my next day off..... or If I can get off in time to have some sunlight left.

If this puts an end to my oil problem then I can't thank you guys enough.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don Boosted said:
You have 96 posts? What the eff?
Yeah I realized I had more then 50. Maybe just because I havn't been on in so long it was just letting me know. It still wouldn't let me in right away but I Managed to find my way a little later. Doesn't seem like exhaust systems stay on the market very long :p .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.