DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think there is a leak in my AC at the evaporator. I have been told the only way to get to it is to remove the dash and it's somewhere behind the passenger glovebox. Is this correct?

Of course I will make sure the leak isn't elsewhere before going for the evaporator. I just want to make sure there isn't an easier way, for instance can I just remove the glovebox and airbag?

I was suprised there are only 5 threads on this whole site with the word "evaporator" in the title, and none of them have info on how to remove it, nor does VFAQ. Someone must know.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There are threads somewhere on here about it....don't just use one keyword, that won't always work.
There was a guy in sweden not to long ago, and he ripped up his dash. It was a 1g, but I think they are similar, if not the same. Either way, he did some really cool stuff with what he had, took a bunch of stuff out, bla bla bla. Maybe you could search for that thread, it may help you....

OR you could get a Haynes or Chilton, which would surely tell you the answers.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just what is leaking? If its water, then its the drain of the evaporator thats clogged. Removing the evaporator is a major job and you need to remove the dashboard to get access to it.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Mabe on a 1g but on a 2g its not hard at all, from what I remember.. Get a manual and save yourself a headache.. The dash does not have to come out, just the glovebox if my memory serves me right..

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah, I was referring to 1G. If a clogged drain is still the issue you can sometimes use a coat hanger from underneath to poke out the debris, but you need to be careful not to dislodge or pierce the drain hose.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Skywise said:
Yeah, I was referring to 1G. If a clogged drain is still the issue you can sometimes use a coat hanger from underneath to poke out the debris, but you need to be careful not to dislodge or pierce the drain hose.
That was my problem when I replaced mine, damn might have been able to save money.:chair:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts