DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running an EVO16 turbo and 255hp pump with 450's and afpr on a 1G.

With the stock fpr the fuel pressure was at 47psi and the car was a dog.

With the afpr I dialed the pressure to 38 (1g M/T) and the car ended up in limp mode causing me to pull over and let it sit before I could get home.

I swapped in a used cam angle sensor and on start up the idles surged for about 3 minutes then settled down. I took it for a drive and it was a lot quicker and I got 24mpg hwy.

Questions
1. When you unplug and replug the same CAS does it reset the timing. I am wondering if it isn't the new CAS but just the fact that I unplugged it and plugged it in again that reset the timing.

2. My turbo glows red when I boost it which is normal but driving the freeway for 20 minutes at cruise and low revs doesn't cool it down. I am worried that I have done something that has screwed my timing or fuel mixture.

3. With stock 450's and a EVO16g do I still set the factory fuel pressure of 38psi expecing the factory computer to compensate the injector pulse for the higher air flow or do I need to raise my base fuel pressure. I am thinking the stock 38psi setting with the EVO16g is making me run lean?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
When you swapped the CAS did you set the timing again? If not, your timing might be way off from before. That could definitely cause some issues.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't set the timing again but had the engine at TDC and slid the CAS straight in so I should be very close.

The stock boost is 10lbs and I have a 2 1/2 inch turbo back exhaust but I traded of a bit of flow for noise reduction by installing a baffled resonator that might be causing back pressure issues.

Tomorrow I am installing a EGT gauge in the manifold.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
To start, verify the timing. You could have very easily moved it 10 degees when taking out the old one and putting in the new one.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Installing a cas without setting the timing is like turning the mbc and saying it's at 20psi. You need to set the timing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the timing and was pretty close at 5 BTDC. I reset it to 8 with the computer bypassed and it remained at 8 afterwards.

I had heard set it to 5 then the computer will reset to 8 but that didn't work for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts