DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
I finally got my car running, the engine works great, but after about 1000 miles of driving the transmission suddenly decided to not let me use reverse and 5th gear.
Here's the "mods/symptoms" that pertain to this problem:
-my car is a 90 AWD, but I have a 93 transmission
-I have the '90 "plate" that holds the linkage in place on the transmission (piece that has 4 bolt holes in it)
-ACT 2600 pressure plate, street disc
-I need to replace the throwout bearing
-I'm about on my 3rd set of clutch hydrolic componets
-all the gears (before this happend) never have grinded bad or anything like that
-reverse won't even let me put it close to it, it's not like it grinds or something li

ok, so if anyone has ever had this problem and had any ideas of how to fix it they would be great appreciated. I have tried to adjust the linkage arms all the ways to try to remedy this problem with no success. I thought about trying to bend the actual arms that are on the transmission....let me know what you think about this.
I can live without 5th gear for a while, but living without reverse sucks.

thanks in advance
Trent

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I suggest disconnecting the shift cables at the tranny and then seeing if you can shift into reverse by moving the lever on the tranny.

·
Registered
634 Posts
You can't put the shifter into 5th or Reverse with the car shut off either?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
barney, I believe that is a good idea......I will try that as soon as possible

ALuH2o, no I cannot even with car off.....I wish I could that would make my life easier

To clear things up a bit, the transmission will go into 5th gear, but it will usually just grind.....it's like it's almost there, but the arms are just about .25 of an inch away from actually seating.....so it just makes this awful sound of grinding. Reverse on the other hand wont' let me put it even close to in gear....not even to grind it, it's like the gate is completly closed off or something......I don't know what's wrong....maybe they are 2 seperate problems, however they started happening at the same time :dunno:

but I really appreciate everyones input...
Trent

·
Registered
634 Posts
You mentioned you just got the car running again... was exactly was the car going through that made it not run? (engine transplant?)

Did you at any time have the transmission fuild drained or take off that cover (I forgot the technical term) on the side of the transmission?

I am overlooking improper clutch installation because I think it's either shifter related or transmission itself related. Check the shifter fork or those rubber mounts or bushings... whatever they're called (technical terms have slipped my mind at the moment)... but they're the circular pieces of rubber that you can replace w/ poly urethane. I'm trying to check off the "easier" areas to fix first hoping that it's nothing serious.

For what it's worth... I have trouble going into reverse also... but I'm blaming that on my inexperience of owning a good ol' notchy 1991 DSM 5 speed transmission :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AluH20-
Thanks for your input on this problem....I did however fix it just yesterday. I mentioned at the begining of this post that I had on the '90 plate on the '93 tranny. Well, my friend who is (seriously) all knowing about Dsm's put that piece on there because reverse was grinding a little and he thought that this would fix the problem....anyways, I think he thought I had the '90 one on instead of the '93 plate.....well this is what created the problem, so I just switched those pieces back out......I'm kindof a dumbass sometimes.....

So again, Dsmtalk has been a great help in my trouble shooting....I really appreciate everyones help...I hope I can return the favor someday.

Trent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts