DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I just finished rebuilding and installing a 1G transmission everything (synchros, bearing and seals) were changed. However after couple of days of driving I can't put the reverse into gear. It just refuse to get in. and once it is forced in you hear a spining sound like nothing is engaged.

Can you tell me what might be the problem. 5th gear is perfect no problem at all.?
Does anyone knows the part # for the reverse gear if it is the problem?

Thanks
sam

·
Registered
246 Posts
Reverse is unique in that it uses a synchro at the end of the input shaft, but the gear and idler are on the front end of the shaft at the 1/2 slider. I would say something came apart in the synchro at the end of the input shaft. It's easy to check, just pull off the tranny end cover (can be done in the car) and look at the ring and keys at the top of the shaft. I wonder if the ring spun on the keys or something...

Jack

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is definetly something inside the tranny. But if I understand well is this can be fixed while the transmission is not out of the car?? The guy said that he needs the transmission out but then I told him that he should have access to it... his reaction was not very conclusive. Can anyone shed the truth about this? The guy said after that he will look at it tomorow. but I definetly will hate to take that thing out again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
First rule out the shift llinkage before you do a tranny pull (huge job). Disconnect the ends of the shift cables, and see if you can get into every gear with no cables. Then see if you can get into reverse, hold in the clutch and start the car and see if reverse is fully engaged. If everything shifts good with no cables, your cable adjustment is the problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jack you were right A gear failure (Pinion) at the differential went on the reverse gear and stuck there. I will post a pic soon to see if it is an installation issue or just a failure. Since the rebuild the car was not pushed at all. I think the guy is bullshitting me (the one who rebuild it)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts