DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would the best street/track combo be for a 6bolt engine. Also how much of a bore? Forge pistons? Also keep in mind most cost effiecent ones, I'm fresh out of highschool:p

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just wanting to build an engine from scratch, probaly will buy a blown up one though. My budget is really unknown right now kinda of the reason I'm asking what's the best route to go. I'm guessing the 3000 dollar range for the full engine?? My goal is to have a dsm that will be able to run hard at the track yet still be enjoyable to drive and be able to take the abuse from running it at the strip hoping mid 11s?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
First the bore is based on the block itself.. You don't just say .040 sounds good.. You take it to the machine shop they measure everything and decide how much, if any to bore over. For what you want a stock build should be fine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you're gonna build it, I'd say stray from stock. Granted yes, you can make decent power on a 2g/1g combo, but why not just go with stronger components. For what you're going for, mid 11's, go with a simple Eagle/Wiseco setup if you feel the need to build a motor.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yeah, I would say for 3k and doing the work yourself you could build a monster. I personally have been hearing some bad info about Wiseco, from what I've heard lately(note no personal experience with them) is that they aren't all exact in size and when they expand they are ripping out peoples cylinder walls. I'm also in the process and will be using the Eagle/Ross combo from extreme psi 8:3:1.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Bradikus7 said:
they aren't all exact in size and when they expand they are ripping out peoples cylinder walls. .
You heard wrong.. It's not the piston's fault. It's the machine work that is being done.. People aren't using the correct piston to wall clearance. Then the pistons expands (like any forged piston) and it cracks the wall because it expands more than the PTW clearance. So it's not a wiseco defect it's due to bad PTW. i run wiseco's with a .0045 wall clearance with no problems.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today I've done a lot of thinking. I'm going to go with an eagle/ross combo, what bearings should I use? Also what am I looking at to get a block machined/hottanked?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See i've heard the opposite with wieseco's. Anyone had problems with them??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi, as Burnett03 said, the problem with Wisecos its cause the PTW clearence isnt the correct one since they expand a llitle more than other brands, Ross are very good pistons but may slap a little on cold start ups , i would suggest running Eagle/Wisecos,stock crank and dont forget ACL Tri-metal race bearings. For the head i suggest P&P ,BC 272 valve springs and titanium retainers and +1mm valves that complete build will be on your budget limit

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Never had a problem with eagle/weisco combo.

Had two Eagle/Ross combos have fitment issues at the wrist pins.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Burnett03 said:
You heard wrong.. It's not the piston's fault. It's the machine work that is being done.. People aren't using the correct piston to wall clearance. Then the pistons expands (like any forged piston) and it cracks the wall because it expands more than the PTW clearance. So it's not a wiseco defect it's due to bad PTW. i run wiseco's with a .0045 wall clearance with no problems.

What would be the best PTW for a set of Ross pistons. On ross's website it says that .005 would be a good PTW, but that is just a general clearance for any turbo motor. I am taking my block to the machine shop this week, so I am very curious if I should go with a different PTW then Ross's spec of .005. Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bradikus7 said:
Well I have also heard so many people say good things about Wiseco, but then I read this thread http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200919&highlight=wiseco. This guy Jake has a beast dsm and his Wiseco is now a hockey puck.

He's also running a 8second drag only dsm it's going to see a bit more abuse then I'd be doing. From doing more research I'm learning it's all in the machine work, the install, and the break in. Do those three right your in the clear. Found a good deal on wiseco 8:3:1 pistons/eagle rods on extremepsi so once I get some bills paided off I'm going to scoop those up:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.