DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the group I just bought a 96 Mitsubishi eclipse 2.0L non turbo and my rpm gauge won't work I just put a fuel pump in and next is a clutch master cylinder bc it's been parked since 2017 but it runs smooth just can't put drive it bc the clutch master cylinder is bad

·
Registered
10 Posts
Probably a bad tachometer. Mine went bad too after many years and I had to get another from the salvage yard. Since its a manual you should get one from a manual car. Auto tachs only go to 8000 rpm. It'll work but won't be as accurate. Manual tachs go to 9000 rpm. On the transmission...if you have a bad clutch master get the slave too. Doesn't make sense to do one without the other ...especially since they're likely the same age. I got mine locally since they have lifetime warranty's. Bit more expensive than online but not much and no ship charges...plus if I have warranty issues I can just exchange locally. Won't mention which store chain because I just checked and now it says "call store to order" for both. So much for my long term plan! It did pay off once because I did exchange the clutch slave locally once already. Check your local stores and also warranty lengths because it might pay to go local in case you have a bad one out of the box (it happens) or down the road. Use DOT 4 brake fluid to fill the reservoir and don't forget to bleed both. Since you'll be draining the system of fluid and starting fresh its a good time to clean the clutch reservoir too. After removing the reservoir hose from the master... put the hose into a container and drain the old fluid into it. Then spray some brake cleaner inside the reservoir. several times to clean the old fluid out. Make sure its completely dry before putting new fluid back in. ALSO a good time to change the reservoir to clutch master hose. ITS NOT RUBBER so DON'T use vacuum line! Brake fluid will swell vacuum line and destroy it and then NO CLUTCH! PLUS brake fluid eats paint!! Enuf said! The correct reservoir hose is made of EPDM. I bought mine from eBay. Im providing a link below but its NOT Necessarily the right size. I dont remember the size. Might be 1/4 inch or might be 5/16 or could even be metric. The seller may know. I'll try to find my spare parts box because I think I still have a small sample left to measure but no guarantees. You can also measure the original after removal but remember the end will be expanded a bit. Cutting that part off should let you measure where its not expanded for the correct size. I think I bought a foot or 2 so but don't recall. Measure the length and keep in mind the factory reservoir to clutch master is shape formed. What you'll be getting isn't and youll need to bend a bit so count on that when measuring so it's not crimped when you bend. Here's the link for the seller... REMOTE BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR HOSE, 1/4" ID - Sold by the Foot, see description | eBay and again this MAY NOT be the right ID hose (measure your INNER diameter) but IS the correct product you want (EPDM hose). Remember its sold by THE FOOT so once you get the right inner diameter and land on the correct product for this seller...enter the QTY for how many feet. Make sure you have good hose clamps too before you go to reassemble. And again...it won't be right unless you bleed both clutch slave and master which takes a bit of time. Just go slow when having an assistant pump the clutch pedal so you don't pump up air bubbles in the system.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts