DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the AC its like the ECU isn't compensating at all. The RPM's drop by 5-600. I have to keep the idle at around 1000-1100 just so if I turn the ECU on the car won't have a problem staying running. Any ideas? I have a rebuilt ecu from Foriegn Car Connection or something like that and I've never had any problems with it. Actually I had the same problem with my old ecu before swapping so its got me stumped. I've checked the ISC and it checks ok and I set the idle correctly so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kris Vadnais
91 TSi AWD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interior lights....hhmmm good question, the only time the AC is on is when I'm picking up my daughter and its daylight so I couldn't tell ya. I will have to try it when its darker. As far as I know alternator is original and the car has 170xxx on it.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,281 Posts
krisv said:
Interior lights....hhmmm good question, the only time the AC is on is when I'm picking up my daughter and its daylight so I couldn't tell ya. I will have to try it when its darker. As far as I know alternator is original and the car has 170xxx on it.
Wow...I'm amazed it's lasted that long :eek: :) The AC compressor draws a lot of power to begin with, so my guess would be that the alternator is just too old to handle all the power being drawn. Does the idle drop even the slightest bit with your headlights on or the wipers on, etc? Sounds to me like you just need an alternator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that I think about it the idle does tend to go up and down depending on what is on in the car. Guess its time to just get it done with before it leaves me high and dry somewhere. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
You know what, I bet that is what is wrong with my car too (alternator).

When I turn my A/C on, the RPM's will drop pretty low (my normal idle is about 700-750RPM, it will drop to about 500-550RPM with the A/C on). Also, when I'm driving with the A/C on and I let off the gas to switch gears, the RPM will drop very fast.

I think it is probably b/c of my alternator b/c when I turn my lights on at night my RPM does drop a tiny bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts