DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had the bushings for awhile now. I finally decided to install them when I had my interior torn apart to install an amp under the passenger seat.

Taking apart the console is a bit of a chore since I've never done it before. Be careful you don't rip out any wires. I had wires running to the lighter, as well as the ashtray. You may have more... Anyway, install was straightforward. Pull the console, remove the 4 bolts holding the shifter plate to the floor, remove the old bushings (mine felt like silly putty). Once you have the bushings removed, take the metal sleeve out of it. Put the metal sleeve in the new bushings, and reassembly. The instructions that came with the bushings are a bit better.

It improved the feel of the shifter a good deal. I won't lie and say it was miraculous, but it made a nice improvement. There is almost no slop in the movememt of the gear shift, and when you place it in to gear, or slam it into gear for that matter, you get a nice solid feel.

In all, it was a well spent $10. RRE shipped it well and didn't mess anything up

·
Registered
81 Posts
rre shifter bushings

:mad: I ordered that same set of bushings from rre about 3 weeks ago, and on the 5th day I had not recieved them I called robert and he said he will check.....never called me back and that night i was billed $30.00 dollars on my credit card when he told me it was $23.00 shipped......well I'm not that mad about it until he told me he sent me the 2g polyurothane motor mount inserts for my 98gsx instead of the bushings I ordered...then I didnt recieve them for another 5days..........so as for my first experience at rre I was really dissapointed in there performance.....cause first they forgot my order then when i called he just shipped me what ever he thought he rememberd and charged me whatever......so I will never shop at rre again instead I will buy from mach-v..............thank you all for listening.........sorry if this is ruid

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
NOCM said:
Well, I've had the bushings for awhile now. I finally decided to install them when I had my interior torn apart to install an amp under the passenger seat.

Taking apart the console is a bit of a chore since I've never done it before. Be careful you don't rip out any wires. I had wires running to the lighter, as well as the ashtray. You may have more... Anyway, install was straightforward. Pull the console, remove the 4 bolts holding the shifter plate to the floor, remove the old bushings (mine felt like silly putty). Once you have the bushings removed, take the metal sleeve out of it. Put the metal sleeve in the new bushings, and reassembly. The instructions that came with the bushings are a bit better.

It improved the feel of the shifter a good deal. I won't lie and say it was miraculous, but it made a nice improvement. There is almost no slop in the movememt of the gear shift, and when you place it in to gear, or slam it into gear for that matter, you get a nice solid feel.

In all, it was a well spent $10. RRE shipped it well and didn't mess anything up
does it make shifting less notchy? I just might buy them if it does. :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
NOCM said:

[/QUOTE

What a coincidence. I 've had a set for awhile now and just put them in yesterday as well. It does make a nice solid feel when you shift to the next gear. Like you said, they don't make miracles out of a shitty transmission, but I think it was worth an hour of sweating in a 100 degree garage to put them in. Install is pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had the B&M short shifter installed for awhile before I put the RRE bushings in and it made it even a tighter patern to shift which was great cause the tighter the faster you can get into gear. Ive ordered alot of stuff RRE and they have been great.

·
Registered
203 Posts
RRE is pretty prompt with their orders.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Heads up.

The 90 bushings are different from the 91-94 on the 1gs.

So make sure you order/tell RRE which ones you need :)

I put them in my 90 and it made the base stiffer, but the rest of the shifter feels sloppy. It probably wouldn't hurt to adjust it via the VFAQ!!

I plan on doing the "Rodman" 91-94 shifter upgrade in my 90 and hope that coulped with the bushing will help my throws feel better/shorter! :santa:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've had these bushings in my car for a few months now and they're great. A very worthwhile upgrade for about $10. Definately mandatory for a more sporty feel in the shifter. I hated that wobbly shifter feel before. ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Would anybody be able to comment on how this bushing set compares to the metal bushing set sold at Mach V? I was just curious if either one may be a little more effective than the other, or if they are both basically the same. Any opinions or experience would help out greatly. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I had a set of symborski bushings from his first production run (when they were $15 and sold by Dave himself :) ). They work very well, absolutely no shifter movement. Shifts are audible afterwards though, kind of like a gated shifter.
Now I have the ES bushings from RRE. They seem to hold the shifter just as well, but without the noise. Eventually they will breakdown though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts