DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than luxury Items, is there really a difference between the 2g RS and GS? I have been looking at some exhaust systems that are fitted for the Eclipse GS and not the RS. Does it really matter? I thought they both used the same engine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Actually people correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the RS has the SOHC motor and the GS is the DOHC. I mean why else would their be a price difference between the 2 then.

------------------

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope. The RS also has a DOHC engine. (I just checked to make sure). Trim level? what exactly is that? Please excuse my ignorance.

·
Honorary Moderator
1,600 Posts
I believe it's just based on different interior drassing packages.

I have a 1G RS that is a turbo... I have a buddy with an RS that is a 2.0L NT... and another with a 1.8L.

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
On the 2G's, RS/GS is just a different trim level. And yes, that means it has different standard options. Like the GS gets color matched door handles.

As far as the engine goes, they are the same.

------------------
-Brian
Project GSX
http://www.projectgsx.com/

·
Registered
61 Posts
So I guess I was wrong about the motors, but oh well. Heres the deal with the RS vs. GS. If you want to be cool and say you got an Eclipse you can buy the RS. Very cheap and all it is really is a basic motor and chasis. No pizazz, no spunk, no nothing, just the eclipse body. The GS is a little more money and it gives you the color matched door handles, and the actual rims no hubcaps. At least most of them I have seen have no hubcaps. But the again around me ther is a lot of the wannabe turbo wing GS wth the OZ rims.

------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow guys just a sec!

Looks like you are all correct, except about different things!

The 1st Generation (90-94) MITSUBISHI Eclipses had a 1.8L RS and a 2.0L GS (Both these engines were designed by Mitsu. The 2.0L in the GS is very similar to the 2.0L in the Turbo GSTs and GSXs.

The 1st Generation (90-94) PLYMOUTH Lasers top-of-the-line AWD TURBO's were ALSO called RS.

The 2nd Generation (95-99) MITSUBISHI Eclipse RS and GS have IDENTICAL 2.0L DOHC Engines designed by Chrysler. The are identical engine/power-wise but vary in "trim" levels. i.e. RS' usually came with wheel covers, GS' with Rims, Leather etc..

A bit clearer now?

OH and Mitchy, the GS' with OZ Rims and bigger wings came out from the factory like that. That was the GS "Sport" option.

Guy

[This message has been edited by RS_Guy (edited August 31, 2000).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Actually I believe the OZ "sport" edition was actually the 10th year anniversery edition

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually people correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the RS has the SOHC motor and the GS is the DOHC. I mean why else would their be a price difference between the 2 then.

------------------
i own the rs model and it has the dohc motor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts