DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car seems to be very fast at times but sometimes it feels very slow. The temps around here are consistantly cold, so I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the air. I'm running 15 psi and using 92 octane as well. Does anyone else seem to have this problem? Or is it just my imagination.

Also, can anyone tell me how to check the voltage at the fuel pump? As in what wires I hook up the voltmeter to. I did the rewire (w/ the relay) but I'm not sure if the wire I used is large enough. Should it even matter since the relay already "boost" up the voltage? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a 91 awd and my car does the same thing especially at launch sometimes i can take off like a bat out hell then sometimes it like i floor it and it feels like i'm not going anywhere. i've talked to a couple people and was told my balance shaft was either bad or put in wrong. mechanic is looking at it now to see if it's bad.and also to rebuild my head due to a great overheating accident.

·
Registered
729 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
(I)was told my balance shaft was either bad or put in wrong <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would definetly know if your balance shaft was in wrong!

I was having problems similar to what you described and after i changed my plug wires and plugs(with proper gap) the problem is gone.
You might also be getting timing retard from the knock sensor. Check out the v-faq for more info: http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html

As for the rewire, you should use at least 10 ga all the way from the battery to the relay.

To check voltage with the rewire you simply put the positive probe from the voltmeter to the new wire that you put in and the neg to any ground. You have to do it with the engine running though, otherwise there will be no voltage.

[This message has been edited by gsxalex (edited September 07, 2000).]

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting my timing belt replaced so that will take care of the possibility of a bad/worn balance shaft.

My plug wires are about 3 years old. The car accellerates smoothly to redline with no stutter or hesitation. Can they still be considered "bad"?

I've checked my timing many times and it's fine. I'm running moderate boost and use good gas. I have no lifter tick. I did the MCCC treatment twice this year. What else can be causing knock?

What makes the ECU choose more aggressive timing and fuel map vs. conservative map?

Sorry for the trivial Q's guys...just hate it when sometimes my car feels like a Viper (almost...hehe) and other times I can't even pull on a Mazda MX-6.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts