DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Running Wire To Doors Help!!!

830 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RippinGSX 
#1 ·
Okay, my friend and I were doing a stereo install on his car when we ran into a problem. We were attempting to run a 12 gauge wire to his doors because his stock speaker wiring has since corroded and on the verge of breaking. On my car, a 1997 Eclipse, it was easy, i just ran it through a rather large hole near the interior fuse box to the doors. His, however, has a large plastic cap with screws over where my hole should be. It looks like a holder of some sort that holds the connector for the power windows, door locks, mirrors, etc. I was wondering should we take this plastic piece off, remove the connector, and just connect the two harnesses without the large plastic router or cap?... whatever it's called. Also, if we were to do so, there's absolutely no way i could unscrew it from the passenger side because the one on the passenger side has a rather large object (either the airbag or the heater core, i'm not sure) in front of it, preventing the use of a screw driver. Also, are there any adverse affects that he may face because of the the the plastic holder/piece's absence? Any information on if i should remove, how i can remove, and what this plastic connector holder/router is would be greatly appreciated. Also, any ideas as to how we should run the wire is also welcomed. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

#8 ·
Yes, I used duct tape and a coat hanger, and then I got super fancy and upgraded to a "grabber thingy" !!! :cool:

This device, found at Lowe's / Home Depot / wherever features a spring loaded "grabber" and is very flexible. It's about 2 feet long. I suppose it's a roto-rooter or something actually, but is very helpful at getting wires through the firewall, through door panels, under carpets, etc etc.

As to the rubber boot, try to keep it in tact. If you can't manage the high-to-low bend part, then you'd probably want to drill above it, run wires through a grommet, and use RTV sealant or something to close up the air gaps around the grommet if it's not snug.

Good luck, this is a very time consuming procedure, but will be worth it. Or, just drill and grommet. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.