DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the safe psi on the stock T(toosmall)25? I have mine set at 15PSI with the MBC. Is that pretty reasonable? Also, it spikes at 17PSI...is that okay or will it blow my engine? Thanks for the info..

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
217 Posts
You are fine. I run 15psi also at night. But 10psi in this 100F TX weather.

Boost spike??? Get rid of that MBC and get yourself a good electronic one. NOOOOO boost spike at ALL! Profec B $300.

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know! I need one of those electronic boost controllers. my only concern is the installation. I don't like butchering or cutting my wires. I don't know much about them yet but did yours come with a harness or some sort like the turbo timers? How difficult is the installation? Thanks for the info.

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
217 Posts
GReddy makes it painless. All the harness are wrapped with some black cloth material stuff, and just snap into place. Doesn't make a mess like a turbo timer. And the vacuum hoses just run to the boost controller to the new boost control selenoid GReddy provides. You won't use the stock bcs anymore.

I love it! I will never own a MBC but I know that they are a hell of lot cheaper, but this Profec is so rock solid.

------------------
'99 GST
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I just came from a site (dsmshop.com) that seemed to have an answer to your question. I honestly don't know if this is true or not. So, I'll try to quote:
The stock T-25 reaches its surge point at 15-16 psi max. Boost pressure beyond this point is just hotter air (resulting in more pressure.) This would not be good.
If anybody knows different, I wouldn't mind learning something new...
BTW- does anybody know at what point (boost pressure) the stock 14b loses efficiency?

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

[This message has been edited by Van (edited September 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a DDP mbc set at 15 psi and I have no boost spike at all! it builds to 15 psi and stays there 'till redline.

I think that the 14b looses efficiency somewhere around 20 psi.

------------------
'92 Talon TSi FWD
K&N cut air can, DDP mbc @ 15 psi
[email protected] 2.5 60ft

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mospeed. I think I'll order it next paycheck (I just ordered the Greddy IC Piping kit! hehehe). Do you know who sells it pretty cheap? I know RRE sells it for $350. Thanks man!

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Not really. You won't need new injectors to run over 16 psi but you will definately need an upgraded fuel pump. After you add a fmic you may need the 550's.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i own a 98GST and i run(excuse me, ran) 17psi on my t-25 but in Texas where its 100 degrees outside. Blew my turbo about a week ago and i am now looking for a used one for a good price. Keep it at 15 or less b/c new t25 costs 1400 dollars.

·
Registered
217 Posts
How long did you run at 17psi? This is why I run at 10psi during the day. :-/ Why does it have to be so hot!

------------------
'99 GST
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter

·
Registered
31 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank:
i own a 98GST and i run(excuse me, ran) 17psi on my t-25 but in Texas where its 100 degrees outside. Blew my turbo about a week ago and i am now looking for a used one for a good price. Keep it at 15 or less b/c new t25 costs 1400 dollars.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$1400???? Where in the world did you get that quote? I don't even think the dealer charges that much.

You can get a 16G for $600-$700 (max) new.

Also, why would you replace the t-25 with another t-25??? That turbo is TINY. Get the 16G. It fits right in place of the t-25. Just don't boost too high unless you get a better intercooler.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Forgot... Also, make sure you have enough FUEL!! Once you get into the 17-20 PSI boost range, you should be looking at replacing the injectors with 550CCs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I forgot to mention the pump.. sorry. I've heard from many people the Walbro pump works great.

Also, regarding the injectors. I was referring to using the injectors after getting the intercooler. Usually if someone gets another turbo, they want the intercooler so they can pump up the boost.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i'm not buying a t-25 but i'm getting a Big 16g and fuel pump next week. I was looking to buy a used t25 to run until i get the upgrade but i found out today that it will be coming in at the end of this week. The 1400 dollars came from a quote of the factory. i live in Houston, TX and i was running 17psi for about a month. But when i bought the car about 3months ago the turbo had never been replaced and my odometer reads 50,000miles.

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
The walbros are pretty loud but to tell you the truth I really don't even notice mine anymore.
With proper fuel support the 16g can run upwards of 23# but I am not sure when the effeciency starts to degrade. :(

·
Registered
125 Posts
Frank,

You say you live in Houston? Did you happen to go to the TXDSM meet?

And BTW, I run 17psi on my t25 with a Denso fuel pump. The Walbros are way too loud.

jack
98gst

1 - 18 of 18 Posts